Lost and Found

Danny usually joined the family to watch Christie's game especially championship ones. Now, he couldn't. It would only prolong the inevitable. That didn't mean he didn't turn the game on the TV. And he was glad he did. 

Danny's eyes had been following Christie the whole time. So he noticed when she didn't get up even when everyone else did. He counted the seconds, but instead of giving more time, the time stopped. The whole stadium froze as they realized that Christiana Delafield was not getting up.

Danny grabbed his shoes and phone before heading to his car. He immediately called Cole.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing?"

"Damn, I hope not," said Cole distractedly. He was probably still watching Christie for any new sign. 

"I'm on my way."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Christie stiffen as the trainers poked and prodded her. They lifted her on the gurney and took her across the field. Christie tried to smile at her teammates to assure them, but couldn't stand the looks of pity. Some of her teammates couldn't even look in her direction. Christie hoped that was due to the grotesque positioning of her right leg.  As the cameras seemed to close in, she turned her face away. 

Once she was at the hospital, they made the diagnosis. It wasn't particularly hard to realize this was more than a sprained ankle. When she had first looked down, she was sure she saw bone. Christie knew what a broken leg felt like. She had broken her leg her freshman year of high school. There was pain, but then the cast was put on it. She was hobbling around with minimal effort within the week. This was different. 

"It is a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula." That was what the Doctor said. With those words, she knew her career was over. A soccer fan and player, Christie only knew of one other player that had sustained this injury.  David Busst in a 1996 game against Manchester United. They had to clean his blood off the field. 

Christie was numb to it all. She felt the pain. The heart-stopping pain was still very much pulsing through her body with each movement. No, she was numb to everything else: the doctors arguing over her care, her family fussing over her and even the nurses adjusting the bed to her comfort. 

The sounds faded away and Christie just watched the chaotic scene as if it were someone's else life on a TV show. 

Christie only knew that it was decided that she would have immediate surgery. She welcomed the anesthesia as it took over her brain. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Danny waited with the rest of the family in the emergency room. 

Brick was comforting Fiona as she cried on his shoulder. Amelia was talking to one of the doctors to find out more. Cole sat in one of the corner chairs, saying nothing at all. 

Amelia walked back to their group with a grim set to her face. Everyone looked up, hoping Amelia would explain what happened. 

"She has a compound fracture. That explains why we saw her bone. They are taking her to surgery now. She will be in there for a while, but the team made sure to bring out the best orthopedic surgeon. I've only heard of him from medical journals."

"Will she be able to walk again?" asked Fiona tearily. 

"Yes, with a lot of physical therapy, time and patience," said Amelia on a sigh. 

"We'll be there for her," said Danny determinedly. Everyone nodded in agreement. 

It became quiet once again as they continued to wait. They were so focused on Christie that noone noticed that the TV closest to them had on ESPN. There was the elephant in the room, talking to the press. 

It so happened that there had been a football game on the very same night. The men were just finishing up and conducting their post-conference interviews. Reporters clamored around Andrew Perini to inform him of his fiance's injury. Andrew Perini's face instantly transformed.

Anyone could  admit that informing someone on live TV that his fiance was wounded was unfair. 

"I was obviously unaware of the situation. Now, that I do know. You will understand that I must leave now." 

Andrew left the crowd, changed clothes and left for the hospital she was rumored to be at.

~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as Christie opened her eyes later, she saw Andrew in her hospital room. At first, she wondered why they were in a hospital, but then she remembered. Her leg was covered by the blanket. Although she was curious, Christie felt no hurry to remove the sheet. 

"Hey babe! How are you?"

For all her complaints, she was happy to see him. Really anyone. 

"Okay. I guess." Her voice was so hoarse, she was unsure if it was even her that spoke. 

"You took quite an injury, but the doctors said you should be better in no time. I'll be here for you."

Christie smiled hazily before falling back asleep. She was sure she felt a kiss on her forehead. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad. Andrew was already being supportive. Her complaints were completely unfounded. Their future would be bright.