Paved with Good Intentions

Looking back on it, Chris had a few ideas about how the lunch date with her brother would go. To say the least, she vastly underestimated the possibilities because it was far worst. Without a doubt, there should have been signs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The newly engaged couple walked through the door of Cavelli's . She picked the spot with extra care, knowing her brother loved the food and atmosphere. The restaurant was modern with hints of Old World Itlay. It was bright and airy with its plain white walls and minimal decorations. Local art was placed around the room as if the restaurant was a living gallery. The food was made as if it were straight from Italy. 

The chef, of course, kept a spot open for Cole Delafield, so adding the two of them to the list was easy. The waiting was the first problem. Andrew started filling the silence with endless chatter. Then, he ordered the most expensive wine on the menu to celebrate. Of course, the wine was red. Chris hated red wine and had explained this multiple times to Andrew. Well, men are not detail-oriented like women. He can't be expected to remember every detail she said to him, right?

Chris tried to sip on the wine, but her face instantly scrunched up at the distinct taste. 

"I thought you hated red wine." 

Chris knew that voice. She both loathe and treasured that voice. She decided to say nothing because why give Daniel Walton more ammo. 

A smug smile tilted his plump lips to the side. Most men would look feminine with them, but Danny pulled it off. His dark chestnut brown hair had either been tossled by the wind outside or his own hand. He always used to rub his hand through his hair when nervous or excited as his gray eyes flashed back at you with emotion. 

"I thought that we were going to have a family lunch,Cole." 

Her brother, on the other hand, was like her. Three of the four siblings looked like carbon copies of each other. All blond hair and bluish eyes. Cole's eyes were more a mix of blue and green. 

"Danny is family," replied Cole. Then, he looked pointedly at Andrew. He said no words as he continued to stare him down. Chris saw the unspoken words in his voice though. "What is he doing here?"

Chris knew she better get what she wanted out before she lost the courage or worse before some fan ruined the surprise. 

"Andrew will soon be family too. He proposed last night."  Both Danny and Cole sat up in surprise. 

"And I said yes." Chris ran her sweaty palms down her jeans as she waited for a response. 

Both men stiffened as if a gust of wind have frozen them stiff. Chris looked around the restaurant at the other people enjoying their meals. Well, at least someone is having a great time. Their table was dead silent. 

"Yep, we are going to be bros-in-law," Andrew added stupidly.  

Cole's response was to grab an empty glass and fill it to the top with red wine. He just sipped the wine with no other words. 

" You are going to marry  . . . .him." Danny said as he stared at Andrew as if he were some oddity.

"Yes." 

"Him?" he repeated again. This time, he pointed at Andrew to clarify once again. 

Chris brushed a lock of her blond hair behind her ear. It was not that bad. 

The lunch went downhill from there.

Andrew tried to convince Cole that they needed to bond. He invited him first to see one of his games. Cole gave a non-committal grunt.

 Next, Andrew invited him  to a club opening on Della Rose Avenue. Cole narrowed his eyes with no words. It was as if he was offended by even the notion of being invited to some club. 

Andrew's final idea was that Cole be a part of his groomsmen. That seemed to be the end for Cole. 

"Well, our new CFO is still getting used to the job. Got to head back, right Danny?"

Chris had to appreciate the excuse even though she knew it for what it was an excuse. There was no way her brother had hired someone who couldn't do the job after being on it for three months now. Not after the last one embezzled millions of dollars. Still, at least he didn't just get up and leave. He was polite enough to try to explain the sudden departure. For her brother, that was a huge improvement. 

Danny merely nodded in silence and stood up. Chris was glad he was okay. He spent most of the time staring at Chris and Andrew as if they were mannequins come to life. 

Cole pulled his wallet out of his pocket to help pay for what? The food that hadn't even arrived yet? They only drunk wine. It had only been 30 minutes at most. 

Andrew chuckled loudly as he threw his arm around Chris's shoulders. 

" I got it, brother. Don't worry. I'll be able to take care of our girl here."

Cole's forehead twitched, but he said nothing. Both men walked away without even a wave or goodbye. 

"I think that went well. We are going to make a power couple, babe."

"Right." Chris drunk another glass of red wine. Ugh!