Getting Back Up

"What happened?" asked Fiona as she leaned into the chair. Amelia walked in with a pitcher of lemonade and trail mix. Christi wished it was a Margarita, but she was not supposed to mix alcohol with her pain meds or something. She was sure trying to convince a doctor to forget the warning would not work in her favor. 

"What do you think? We broke up."

"It is never that simple," interjected Fiona. 

"This time, it was. We realized we wanted different things. He wanted a miracle cure to fix our problems. And I couldn't bring that to the table. It's fine. I don't need to dissect it. I already did that. This is for the best."

Both Amelia and Fiona glanced at each other before returning back to Christi. 

"Are you sure? Talking can help." Amelia always the caring one. 

"Trust me. Me and Andrew hashed it out real good. Couldn't have been clearer. I am just glad that I didn't buy a dress or anything. We were only able to put a down payment on the venue. Luckily, that is still all his." 

Christi turned on the TV, flipping endlessly through the channels. Within a few minutes, both of her sisters backed off and went into the kitchen to talk. Christi knew it was about her and she didn't care. She just wanted this stupid cast off, so she can wallow in peace and solitude about her failures and lack of a future. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If Andrew had thought Christi was a couch potato at his house, he should have seen her at Amelia's. Before Christi had a purpose, she was planning a wedding. Without the wedding, her career or even independent mobility for long periods of time, Christi gave up. With her sister working for most of the day, she had no one to criticize her. So she did nothing. She occasionally got up to shower or use the bathroom. She typically ate whatever her sister had made. Amelia tried to be encouraging, but it was obvious Christi was in a funk. Besides, when Amelia came home, she used her time to catch up on her sleep. 

Fiona's next movie had just started filming in Australia. Cole was on a business trip to London. So Amelia called the only other person she thought could reason with Christi.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As she watched another episode of Seinfield re-runs, Christi heard the door knob jiggled. She sat up in the couch. Amelia just went to work an hour ago and shouldn't be home until late. Everyone else was busy with something. When she heard the door again, she knew. Someone was coming in. 

When the door opened, Danny Walton came inside. He took one look at her on the couch and pulled her into his arms. 

She hit his chest and wherever she could reach him. 

"Put me down. " Danny ignored her as he walked her down the hallway to the bathroom. Once inside, he put her on the toilet seat. 

"You are taking a bath now."

"Why? I'm not going anywhere." Even though she knew she looked like a child, she crossed her arms over her chest and refused to move. 

"Christi, I have seen you naked. Not in a long time, but we can make it today."

Christi could feel her face heat up. She still refused to move. "You are going to have to make me. I can't let this cast get wet. I need help getting undressed."

Danny gulped loudly as if he hadn't expected her to let him help. Still, he sucked it up and began to undress her. Christi was more nervous than she had ever been. She barely could concentrate on taking off her shirt as he focused on her pants. His hand seemed to slide slowly down her leg as he helped her pull her pants off. Andrew licked his lips at the sight of her in only her panties.  

"Danny," she said huskily. She cleared her throat to shake off the voice. He had always done things to her body. Then again, so had Andrew and that hadn't worked out well. 

Danny shook his head as if to clear out cobwebs. With a lot of effort and careful positioning, he was able to help Christi take a bath. He got her dressed again in a fresh pair of jeans and a sweater. He was much better at controlling his reactions now. He had to think of several things to stay focus such as the stats for his favorite football team. Of course, that thought led to Andrew Perini who played football and then the reason he was here. 

With clean clothes, Christi felt much better. 

"Thanks for that. Now, take me back to the couch." Christi waited patiently. 

Danny shook his head. "Oh no! Time to go to physical therapy. You missed too many appointments already."

Christi shook her head. The last thing she needed was someone else telling her to do something. 

"I don't need you telling me what to do. I'll be fine. Now, take me back to the couch now."

He shook his head as he spoke. "No. I am doing this for your own good."

Christi scoffed. "Really? No ulterior motives. You just want to help me. That's all."

"Just because we broke up doesn't mean I don't care about you. I care for you so much. I want to be here for you especially since Andrew is no longer here. Let me be your support."

"It doesn't matter what I want. We are going to the therapist either way."

Danny nodded. "True, but I will gain your trust."

"You're a little late for that, Danny."