Rock Bottom

What Andrew had said stuck in her head, but she didn't want to confront it.  So, she didn't. Couples didn't always agree. That was okay. 

So, Christi was happy when Andrew joined in as they went to check two of the venues. Even Brick and Fiona tagged along for support. This was Christi's first outing outside of her physical therapy appointments. Due to the effort it took for her to move at all, she was going to use a wheelchair. Not the look she wanted to present. Still, she felt it was time. She was practically going to chew her foot off if that would end the torture. 

She knew she was ready to venture outside when Cole said that she resembled a "rabid dog begging to be let out".  She had to admit that just lying in the grass would do a world of good. 

Christi took extra care in her outfit before Andrew helped her in her seat. 

"Aren't you excited, baby?" said Andrew as he kissed her distractedly on the lips. 

"Yes. Thanks for coming with me."

"Well, how would it look if my bride-to-be did all the wedding planning alone?" 

Before she could respond, Brick and Fiona walked in. 

"Hey sis. You are really rocking that wheelchair," said Fiona with a smile. 

"Thanks. I do try to keep up with the latest fashion."  Fiona laughed along with her sister. The foursome headed outside to the car. It was a team effort to figure out how to fold the wheelchair away. Andrew insisted that they not have a wheelchair-accessible van, believing that it would present the wrong look to her sporty image. He explained that such a van would basically mean she committed to not playing again. A fold-up wheelchair looked more temporary. 

"Are you a football player or a publicist?" thought Christi bitterly. Then, she felt immediately guilty. He was trying to look out for her future. So she smiled at Andrew and faced the window, preparing for the media carnage. Her physical therapy appointments were closely monitored and secure. However, the venues would offer little to no security. 

Sure enough, the paparazzi were in full display when they pulled outside the first stop. Luckily, Brick had brought along his brother Chris as added security. 

The first venue was a dock on a private beach. Unfortunately, the wheelchair could not actually ride on the beach. Andrew attempted to push her close to the dock, but the pathway was covered in sand and jumbled Christi. Eventually, she told him to stop. She just looked from a distance. 

"I don't think this is a good idea. Maybe it's a sign that you can't go on it," said Fiona with concern. 

"Well sis, she won't have to worry about that. She won't be in a wheelchair by then," said Andrew smugly. Fiona's face scrunched up in dislike before she spoke. Christi was unsure if it was him calling her sis, his actual comments or that smug smile. She thought he probably deserved it. 

"That doesn't matter. We need to be prepared for all situations. She might still have crutches. The venue can't be changed later."

"Oh, I totally agree. And I'm sure Christi realizes that a beach setting is just tacky. It's overdone. Besides, People needs to get good shots of us. The sun is too unreliable. I have better pick for the second place." Andrew didn't  wait for a response from anyone before he pushed Christi back to the car. 

Once in the car, he was already on his phone. Christi just figured he was setting up their appointment at the next venue. Fiona stared Andrew down. Brick and Chris sat quietly watching it all. 

When the car stopped, they were in front of the Hastings Mansion. The mansion was built in the 1920s by an oil tycoon looking to settle down in the hills of LA. It was a monstrously huge mansion with a grey brick exterior and large windows that resembled that of an old church. There were over 15 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms as well as over 10 other rooms. It took several years for the mansion to be officially built. It sat on a hill overlooking the other houses as if it were judging them all. When it was finished, the oil tycoon brought his newlywed wife to their new home. The  couple only got one year before the stock market crashed.One investor in the tycoon's company lost everything and killed the tycoon and his wife as revenge. Now, the city used it as a venue for parties and events. 

With its sad history for newlyweds, Christi wanted nothing to do with the place. Just walking into the gate that surrounded the place sent chills down her back. Fiona looked at her sister with raised eyebrows. She knew that Fiona understood in an instant.

Andrew took a deep breath as he walked them up to the door where a city official waited. He smiled widely as he held out his hand. The man nervously shook his hand back.

"It's an honor to meet you, Mr. Perini. I watch every game," the man said as he pulled his hand away.

"Good. Dave, right?"  The man looked like he was about to choke that Andrew had remembered his name.  "I can't do what I do without my fans. Please show us around."

"Of course, sir. Just follow me. " Andrew stepped in the house, leaving Christi to be pushed by her sister. She didn't mind anyways. She didn't really want to go in the house in the first place. 

Fiona pushed her in the house behind Andrew. Brick and Chris followed closely behind. 

"Are you freaked out right now?" whispered Fiona as she leaned in close to Christi.

"Are you kidding me? I felt spirits flow through my body the moment we got in the gate."

"Right? Is he nuts?" asked Fiona as both sisters looked at Andrew. He was walking around, asking about various pieces of furniture in the room. 

"He must be. We're both athletes. We are born to be superstitious. Does he not find it concerning that the newlyweds lived here just one year before being killed by some crazed man?"

"Right? Men."

"Don't generalize. I would never let Alice book us a wedding here," said Chris as he popped in beside the women. Both women jumped in surprise. 

"You aren't even engaged," said Fiona. Chris smiled that stupid smirk of his and zippered his mouth shut. Fiona's eyes lit up. 

"Oh no! I swear, you should have been a wedding planner. You are trying to take over everyone's wedding, " said Brick as he pecked his wife on the lips. 

"Well, if I can help everyone find happiness like us, why not?" said Fiona as she fluttered her eyes. Brick grabbed her by the waist and would have kissed her more soundly, but they were interrupted. 

"Great news! I've booked the mansion. It's official. The wedding of the century will happen here," said Andrew as he opened his arms to display their good luck. 

Christi could hear a pen drop. The only thing official was that he was definitely out of his mind.