Chapter 27

Rosestar's POV

"Wh-what?" Drake stuttered, clearly shocked.

I kept my gaze locked on his. "I will retrieve the Diamond shards."

"But...why do you-"

I placed a finger over his lips, cutting him off into silence.

"I am doing this because I know what it's like to lose family. If doing this means getting someone you love back, then I would do anything, even if it meant sacrificing myself."

I brought my hand down from Drake's mouth. He said nothing, but his eyes were on the verge of tears.

"You would do this....for me?"

I nodded. "I don't want anyone else to suffer the way I have."

Within the blink of an eye, he tackled me with a bear hug so fierce that we both fell back onto the bed. We stayed in the hug for a while before he let go and sat up. Tears were streaming down his cheeks.

"Thank you so much Rose."

I sat back up. "Heh, no prob."

"Oh, I have something for you."

Drake reached behind him and pulled out a small wooden box with a rose insignia. My family's insignia.

I took the box from his hands and held it gingerly. I carefully opened it, like it was made of the most fragile glass.

Inside, was a pendant of opal on a silver chain.

Tears began to fill my eyes as I hugged the pendant to my chest. This was the wedding gift that my father gave to my mother. It was her birth stone. I had always admired it when Mother would wear it. She told me one day that it would be mine. I never thought that day would be today...

"I can't believe it..." I choked out.

Memories of my family flooded my head as Drake brought me to his chest as I cried.

"Momma...Papa..." I whimpered.

Drake rubbed small circles on my back as I calmed down. He looked into my tear stained eyes.

"Want me to help you put it on?" he asked.

I nodded as he looped the chain around my neck and clasped it.

I looked at him again. He smiled warmly.

"Get some rest. You'll need it for your journey."

As he stood up, I grabbed his arm and pulled him back for a moment.

I kissed his lips in a small peck.

"Good night, Drake."

He blushed as he went to his bed and lied down.

I shut my eyes, wondering what tomorrow would bring.