(#16) If you hate it, then why do you come?

Requested by Sierra_Laufeyson As always, thanks for reading.

"Now, try to open your hand as much as you can Doctor." You spoke politely, watching as Stephen struggled to move his hand open. His frown grew bigger as he saw how it barely moved open, letting out a sigh as he set his hand down after several minutes.

"I can't do it" He spoke with bitterness, removing the equipment and throwing it on the table. You crossed your arms on your chest as you watched him for a moment. "Doctor, you won't make any process if you give up just know. We haven't gotten through the fifth therapy."

He sighed loudly, his hands moving up to rub his face. You watched as he glanced at them with disgust, setting them down on his lap once again. "I am sorry, but I don't think I will be coming back to this physical therapy. I don't see any progress." He spoke bitterly, pulling the chair back as he stood up.

You stood up, following after him as you stopped him, setting a hand on his shoulder. He soon stopped walking, turning around as he looked at you with frustration and anger combined behind his gray eyes which seemed to be holding a storm.

"Doctor. I understand what you went through. You lost a very important part of you. You can't do what you loved the most to do. And even though doctors say it is irreversible, I trust that if you believe in yourself, you'll be able to succeed in what you have in mind." You spoke truthfully, watching as he merely stared at you.

You both held a stare, and after what seemed to be hours but in reality minutes, he turned around and continued walking, leaving you standing on the middle of the hallway with your hand still reached out in supporting him.

You soon retreated your hand back and looked down with a sigh, looking to the opposite direction as you headed towards your next appointment with your patients, You sometimes wondered if you did your job well.

***

Five days had passed by and you hadn't heard of him not a single time. You wondered if maybe he stopped paying for the therapy and decided to stop with it. You could somewhat understand from his point of view.

You were currently sitting in your studio, staring at several documents you had to revise and approve for some equipment. The center you were currently working in just boght new equipment and was soon arriving. You were excited to test them.

A soft knock on the door interrupted the silence. You kept your stare in your paper, mumbling a 'come in' and waiting for whoever was outside to walk in. You thought they were just one of your coworkers or your best friend (Y/F/N), but to your surprise, it was none other than Stephen Strange.

You were not sure how to react at his visit. You were partly happy that he decided to come after several days, and you were partly expecting him to just give you the notification that he wouldn't be assisting anymore. You waited in expectation, watching as he sat down in front of you, his hands set neatly on his lap as he cleared his throat.

"Doctor (Y/N)" He started off with a polite tone, finally looking up to meet your gaze as he cleared his throat quietly. "I have come back to inform you about a matter." He continued when he saw no response from you. You merely nodded, setting your pen down as you fixed the stack of papers in between your hands. "Yes, of course Doctor Strange, what would it be?" You asked curiously.

He took a moment, seeming to surprise himself as he spoke up. "I cam here to continue with my sessions" He spoke reluctantly, his posture tense as he tried to keep a poker face. You couldn't keep yourself from smiling, watching as it perked his interest. "I apologize for my absent this past days. Is the schedule programmed for my sessions still up?" He questioned.

You browsed through the stack of documents, finding the paper with his schedule immediately as you read over it. "Yes, it is still available. It makes me happy to know that you will be staying here."

He nodded, standing up after those words left your mouth. He nodded his head in respect as he quickly left your studio without another word.

***

"See? We have made a lot of progress this past weeks Strange. Isn't it amazing how we got to stop the trembling in your hand slightly?" You spoke with amazement and pride, watching as he took off the equipment from his hands as he flexed his fingers, testing them to see the progress.

"I have to admit... this has gone better than expected." He murmured under his breath, a small smile making his appearance on his face. "Doctors said this was impossible to achieve and yet... now I can write a word in paper that can be legible enough. And it is all thanks to you Doctor (Y/N)"

You were frozen in surprise at those kind words. Unknown to you, Stephen had slowly started to develop feelings towards you. He wondered how you hadn't noticed yet how he gazed at you with gleaming eyes every time you spoke confidently and excitedly about random topics.

"Well Stephen, that is all for today. See you in tomorrow's session" You told him, making him snap out of his thoughts as he jumped in surprise a bit at the sudden speaking. "The session is over?" He asked, disappointment laced in his voice.

You nodded, gathering your jacket and back as you put the equipment back in place, closing the case as you locked it to make sure no one would steal it. "That's right, it is half past seven and your session was supposed to end twenty minutes ago."

He stood up abruptly, gathering his coat as he approached you. "Are you perhaps... free today?" He asked you suddenly. You thought for a moment, making him doubt if it was an error to ask you that. "Yes, I am free today as always. Why are you asking?"

You turned off the lights of the room and walked out followe by him. He watched you lock the door with your key. "Well... I was just wondering if you wanted to get a cup of tea or perhaps coffee? You know to... thank you?" He lied in excuse, trying to hide his true purpose of wanting to hang out with you.

"It would be a pleasure Stephen" You answered with a smile, just noticing how his eyes gleamed.