The First Day

a message from future maddy,
bro this book sucks please have mercy. i made it when i was in elementary or middle school idk. it has hella plot holes and makes absolutely no sense. also please be warned it has very triggering elements in it (ie: rape, abuse, murder.) i was a fucked up child. read at your own risk.

Hello, readers! Welcome to my first ever story! It's not going to be perfect, but just know I'm trying my hardest! I'll try to update regularly and keep the story going for as long as possible! I just hate ending my stories! I'm also going to try to make this as humorous and lighthearted as possible! I can't stand stories that are very serious. It stresses me out! I'll try to post twice every week. Well, enough with my rambling! Enjoy the story!
                             ~Maddy

Hermione

    It was the first day of 6th year. Hermione propped her head upon her hand, staring coldly at Ron and Lavender. She was all Ron had talked about this week. Lavender this, Lavender that, blah, blah, bleh. Oh, and don't even get her started on Harry and Cho. They'd been dating since 4th year and Ron and Lavender since the middle of last summer. Both of her friends had girlfriends. They wouldn't pay attention to her anymore. Maybe Hermione would just find new friends...? At least temporarily. She supposed being best friends with Neville wouldn't be that horrible. Yes. That would do.

She stood up confidently, waiting for Harry and Ron to react. Nope. Nothing. She coughed. Still nothing. She scowled at Harry's hand clutching Cho's. She grunted with irritation and stormed away. She stopped right in front of Neville. "Oh... Hi, Hermione," He said, smiling. "Hello, Neville! How are you?" She replied a bit too enthusiastically. Neville scratched the back of his head. "I-I'm fine... D-did you- did you need something?" He said timidly. "Nope! Just wanted to say hi. Harry and Ron are a bit... preoccupied," She practically growled the sentence. She tossed them a glare. "Girlfriends. They can really take your time away. Fiona here is practically glued to me," He joked. But Hermione didn't laugh. Her heart sank. "You have a girlfriend...?" She said, shakily.

A muffled voice came from behind Neville's torso. "Me!" A short girl with curly blonde hair and green eyes poked out from under Neville's arm, hanging his arm over her shoulders. It was a Gryffindor that Hermione had never formally met. But there was loads of gossip about her. She was the jealous type. "Please, leave my darling alone," she barked, but then she grabbed Neville's face and turned it towards hers. She kissed him softly, giving Hermione an evil glance. Neville's ears turned pink. Hermione scoffed and walked briskly out of the great hall.

'So rude' was all she could think. There was a gigantic lump in her throat. Who else had significant others? Would she ever find a non-distracted friend? Of course, she would always be friends with Harry and Ron, but she really needed time with other people. She stopped. Did she hear something? She saw a flicker of movement behind her and her lump turned into a boulder. She whipped around, but saw nothing. "Don't be ridiculous, Hermione..." she told herself. She trotted into the girl's lavatory.

She stopped in front of a sink and turned on the water. She sensed herself crying, but she didn't care. She was alone. She knew it wasn't a good reason to cry and that Harry and Ron would come around eventually, but the fact that she had no other friends made her feel alone. She splashed some water on her face. Her tears were dripping into the sink.

There was a creak outside the door. She stood still. Dead silence. "Hello!?" She called out. Slowly, she sneaked towards the door. "Hello?" She meant to yell it out, but it was just a hoarse whisper. Wait. What was that? A low laughing sound came from next to the lavatory. But as Hermione neared the large door, she realized it was sobbing. Who in the world was out there crying? What was once a boulder in her throat turned into a house as she creaked open the door.

A boy with Slytherin robes, platinum blonde hair, and pale skin was sunken on the ground. His face was buried in his knees. "Hello?" Hermione said softly. His head sprung up so their eyes met. "Granger!?" It was Malfoy. Hermione's face reddened. She knew her face was still tear-stricken and her eyes were probably still puffy and red, but so were his.

He glared at her and she glared back. Draco was much better at it, though. His glare was deadly while hers wasn't very intimidating at all. He wiped his face violently with his sleeve and stood up. "Don't sneak up on people, you filthy little mudblood," He snapped. Hermione stepped back, stunned. He spun on his heels and headed back to the great hall.

Who cares why he was crying? Not her. That's for sure. She swung open the doors and stomped into a stall. Though she'd never admit it, it hurt when he called her mudblood. A part of her started to believe him every time. A strangled cry escaped her throat. She wanted to scream. Instead she just yelled and hit the stall's door with her palm.

A high pitched giggle rang out from somewhere in the lavatory. Hermione unlocked the stall and pushed open the door. "Hello, Myrtle," She grunted. A face appeared from the stall next to her. "Oh, I heard everything!" A high voice said. Moaning Myrtle was a Hogwarts ghost that haunted bathroom facilities because she was killed in one.
And she had an enormous crush on Harry Potter. It was quite obvious.

"Y'know, I once had a crush on a boy. But he despised me. It made me so very miserable. After I died, I wanted to haunt him a bit. But I found him in his dorm, crying. He was writing in his journal about how much he loved me and how he would never get to say it..." she trailed off. Hermione stiffened. "What's your point?" She said flatly. Myrtle thought to herself for a moment, pursing her lips, then said, "I'm just saying that it must hurt, being in love with Draco Malfoy when he hates you so much. But not to be sad because maybe, just maybe, he likes you, too."

Hermione's face reddened. And she whipped her head to stare right into Myrtle's lifeless eyes. "I do not love Draco Malfoy and I never have!" She declared. "Then why do you always cry when he's mean to you? When he calls you... what's that word again...?" She said thoughtfully, "Oh! I remember! Mudblood. That's it!" She said enthusiastically. Hermione thought about this for a moment. "Because it's a very foul word and I don't particularly enjoy because called it by anyone. Not just Draco Malfoy. He means nothing to me. The hate is mutual and he would tell you the same thing if he were here,"

Myrtle looked into Hermione's eyes, concentrated. "But he's not here, Hermione. So, please, tell me the truth," Hermione moaned and sulked out of the room, muttering something about how her next class was starting soon. She knew that no matter how many times she said she didn't love Malfoy, Myrtle would always think she was correct. She made her way to potions class briskly.

I love how this chapter has nearly 40 reads and my recent ones have three. Haha! Just kidding. Thanks for reading!