Chapter 2: "Study Session"

Sighing, I place my second period books in my locker. More homework. High school, especially senior year, was brutal. As I look over my list of things to do, fight at 6 is one of them. Shit! I forgot! What am I going to say to my parents?

Despite the fact that cell phones are forbidden for use between classes, I call my mom.

"Hey honey, why are you calling in the middle of the school day?"

"I scheduled a study session tonight, at six. I should be home soon after that, though."

"Okay, thank you for letting me know. Now, get back to your schoolwork! I'm proud of you! I love you."

I smile. "Love you too, mom. I'll see you tonight."

I hang up, and I let out a breathe I didn't know I was holding. I hurriedly put my phone in my locker, and grab the books for third period, AP Calculus. Turning around I was met the the face of Julia. I jump a little.

"God Julia, don't do that! You know I'm on edge because I have a fight later."

She laughs. "Whatever. I'll see you at lunch?"

I nod. "Yeah. See ya!" And I walk off to my calculus class.

***

Class was boring, obviously. It sucked that Julia and I had only one class together. We'd known each other since the fourth grade, when we helped each other with homework and stuff. The cycle kept going as I got out the binder for fourth period.

The next class was nothing special, like any other class. More homework, no action. See, this is why I prefer the club. No homework and tons of action.

Sighing, I put away my books and get out the bag containing my lunch. I walk to the cafeteria, and I see Julia sitting down at a mostly empty table. I put my stuff down and slide into the spot across the table form her. She looks up.

"Hey Jules."

"Hey."

"How's life?"

"It's lively, thanks for asking."

And just like that, the sort of tense atmosphere disappears. We launch into conversation, talking about whatever's going on.

We're so into the topic I fail to notice footsteps behind me.

Too late, I turn around to be met with the fuming face of one of Nick's friends. Honestly, he has so many, so his name is a bit unclear at first, but I did a double take and remember that's Max, one of his more popular friends. A scowl is etched into his face, and I predict he will start screaming at me.

"You have the fucking audacity to hurt Nick! No one wants you here, kill yourself!"

I scowl. I guessed correctly. Ready to make a comeback, I stand up straighter. I am very tall for a girl, 5'9. Or at least girls I've met.

I uppercut him in the jaw and watch him stagger. I smirked. "Yes, totally, because a supposed nerd has no chance of beating you." I say sarcastically.

"Please, you couldn't hurt me even if you tried." He boasts. I raise an eyebrow. "Would you like to test the theory?" I challenge, looking him in the eye.

He looks taken aback by my challenge and I leave him. Well, after a few punches. But, stuff happens. Lunch ends soon after that, and we're dismissed to go to our fifth and sixth periods.

My fish and sixth periods are Chemistry and Art. Art is my favorite, because we don't sit at a desk and learn, we actually do something interesting.

Chemistry blows by, surprisingly. I mean, it's not the best class. But art? No, art takes an awful long time. And right now, I'm okay with that.

When the class finishes, I run to my locker, anxious to go home and change and prepare for the fight.

I don't take the fights lightly. No, I never do. I get money from my fights, so I can pay for things i'll need in the future.

Climbing into my car, I put the key in the ignition, and sighed in contentment as I drove home to get ready.

***

As soon as I opened the mahogany door to my house, I put my bag down, and rushed upstairs. I change into my fighting attire, and rush downstairs to grab my bag. I better get homework done while I still have the time. Before I start my homework I throw on some casual clothes over the ones I use for fighting.

Mom and dad would probably wonder why I'm going to a study session in a sports bra.

Quickly I finish the homework, a little editing on an essay I wrote and a worksheet for Math. Easy night, considering they're laying it all on us for the final year of high school. But I'm lucky. If this was a normal night, not an easy one, I'd be up until at least ten o' clock at night.

After finishing said homework I casually walk downstairs, to see that dinner is already prepared. I check the time to see that it's 5:07pm. I have a bit of time.

I eat the meal. I could savor it more if I had more time, but unfortunately, I was on a schedule. I dashed out the door, hopping into my car and driving to the club.

The place was below the gym I went to. Convenient, because if I got there early I could warm up at the gym.

I walk to the staircase toward the back of the gym. I could've gone from the outside, but nah.

The familiar surroundings relaxed me, taking me out of my time-crazed trance I was in.

Taking off the casual clothes, I place them on a bench and go up to the ring. My challenger is already there. He gives me a once over and snickers. "You said this was a challenge? I can beat this girl easily!"

I smirk as the match starts. Unwisely, he takes the first move, attempting to punch me in the stomach. I grab his fist as he attempts to do so and twist it. He flinches almost unnoticeably, but I pick it up. Within seconds I have him pinned on the ground.

As the ref calls my victory I sit in wonder.

Cockiness can be a big weakness. It's the same case for a lot of people at school.

I collect my cash reward, and leave the club.

It's seven thirty at night, and though it's early, I just want to lay down and sleep for a little.

Walking through the front door of my house, I notice my parent's aren't in the living room. I don't mind it as I walk upstairs to my room.

I place my stuff down and flop onto my bed. Before I remember to change into my pajamas I'm already asleep.

***

I wake up, and look over at my alarm clock. It was one in the morning. Yawning, I get my pajamas on and open my covers. I climb into my bed this time, and fall asleep again, slightly irritated at the interruption of sleep.
***
Thanks for reading another chapter!

So this chapter is a bit of a filler. But anyone who's read the entirety of this book knows it's got at least a half decent plot xD

I will be taking down chapter three "Let's change things up" next. If you were waiting on this chapter, here it is!

Follow me at GkmGirlWrites!

-Grace :)