Chapter 35: Hospital... Again

White.

It was all I could see. It was a vision or some shit. But I felt like I was floating. I struggled.

No, no no no no no! I couldn't die now! How could a fight damage me in such ways!

Eventually I stopped struggling. There was no point. I guess it was all over.

And suddenly it stopped. In the distance I hear a machine beep with my heart. It was fast. Too fast.

The beeps turned into one.

One consecutive beep. I was flatlining.

In the distance I heard noises and a jolt went through my body. The machine didn't change it's one-note song and a second jolt moved my body. The beep in the distance separated into slightly slower multiple ones.

The white was now black. A rush of air brought a familiar feeling through me as I inhaled suddenly.

My hearing was coming back to me now. I heard voices.

"Faith, can you hear me? Wake up, please!" That was Nick.

"Faith? Are you there?" Nick again. Was only Nick there?

My eyes were still shut. I tried to open them, tried to tell Nick I was there, but I could do neither of those things.

"If you're there, Faith, squeeze my hand or something." He said, taking his hand in my own.

I struggled. I had to do something to let him know I was there.

All I could muster was for my fingers to move, gripping his hand in mine.

He sighed deeply in relief. "Faith, please wake up. You're worrying everyone sick."

Focusing deeply, I tried as hard as I could to open my eyes, move my mouth, something.

I opened my mouth and tried to speak. "N-nick?" I stuttered, my voice coming out quiet, low, and raspy.

His breathing quickened. "Open your eyes, Faith. Can you do that for me?"

For what felt like hours I concentrated on my eyes, willing them to open.

And you know what? It worked. My eyes opened slowly, torturously, and the light blinded me.

I tried to move my hands in front of my face, but I couldn't; was I paralyzed?

Nick hovered by my bed, his face holding hope and joy. "I c-can't move." I rasped, worried. He shook his head. "Your body is paralyzed with shock. Don't worry; it has nothing to do with your spinal cord." He said.

I sighed in relief. I moved my head to look at my surroundings. I was in a room with white walls and a yellow ceiling. To my right and left were a ton of machines, and I noticed a heart monitor.

On my right, I saw an IV. I looked down at my arm to see multiple needles sticking into my skin. Ugh, I thought.

Slowly but surely I felt my strength return, and I reached out to touch Nick's hand.

Nick's POV

That fight went on for a very long time. That was not a good sign for either of them. They would tire out.

Faith I was especially worried about. Besides her being my girlfriend, she was taking more hits than he was. There was one point where she stumbled back and he hit her multiple times.

Faith had stumbled back, and he had hit her more.

The one moment we made eye contact, I saw the fatigue being replaced by a kindling fire, burning in her eyes. She launched toward him and started punching him.