Chapter 3: Let's Change Things Up

With it's beautiful song, *note the sarcasm* the alarm clock shot me right out of my sleepy trance. Yawning loudly, I slump out of bed, falling on the floor as I do so.

I look into my bland closet and sigh as my eyes fall on ripped jeans and combat boots. Aw, fuck it.

What was this act doing, besides supposedly hiding my streetfighting identity? It was slowly destroying my self-esteem and my pride. I couldn't enjoy my life because I was too busy protecting it.

You know what?

I'm not going to do it anymore. I won't be the one person that's easy to push around. Not anymore.

I grab those ripped jeans, grab the nice tops, and throw out the glasses. Truth be told, I need them a bit, but I have contacts. I go into my bathroom upstairs and toss my hair around, wondering what to do with it, before finally settling on two Dutch braids on either side of my head.

I was pretty sure I was glowing with confidence after I finish. I haven't felt this good, well, ever!

I walk down the stairs, to see my dad eating breakfast tiredly as my mom had her hair in a turban.

Both of them look up. My dad is the first to talk. "Faith? You look amazing! Is there something we missed?" He says cheerfully. My mother however, is confused. "What happened to you, Faith?"

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. I've shown them, right? They've seen my rebellious side, haven't they? Of course they have, I think, trying to reassure myself. Instead of staying with them, to explain to them, I walk out abruptly. It was a bitch move, I know. But, you know, mornings.

Hm, where to get breakfast this morning, I ask myself. Perhaps the Coney Island. Nah, I don't have time. Subway? They have breakfast stuff. I'll go there. I rev up my car and drive to the nearest Subway, about three minutes away.

The line is incredibly short, thank god. I order a breakfast sub and as they prepare it (quickly, might I add), I tap my foot once or twice before my sandwich is done. I pick it up and sit down, while I eat the sub in about five minutes. I rush out to my car, start the engine again, and drive off to school.

I'm a bit excited to see what people will think. I'm hoping for a major-scale shock. *evil grin*

~~~

I walk into the school, my sunglasses hiding my eyes so no one sees them. I stroll casually to my locker, and put my stuff away. I walk about five feet to the bathroom, forcing myself to take my shades off.

When I'm done I notice someone in the mirror doing makeup. No surprise, it's Tiffany, the biggest bitch in the school. I walk right past her without saying a word.

I open my locker again, and start to grab my stuff for first period. As I grab my first notebook, my locker is dramatically shut. Instead of my locker door, in front of me is none other than Nick. "Trying to impress someone?" He sneers.

I raise an eyebrow. "Obviously. Because I care so much about how others think I look." I say, sarcasm dripping from my voice.

"Well why'd you do it?" He asks, urging me on. I scowl.

"Why would you want to know? I'm guessing you don't care, so why?"

He frowns. I hear him mutter a 'whatever' as he walks away.

Nick's POV (Surprise!)

The way she stood up to me yesterday intrigued me. She was brave, smart, and feisty.

And today was even better. At first I barely even noticed it was her because of the drastic change. She did not look like the Faith I knew and supposedly loathed. In fact, she looked even better.

I had to keep up my 'bad boy king of the school who also hates nerds' act. That's right, I have an act. So I was a jerk. "Trying to impress someone?" I say to her as I slam her locker closed. She makes eye contact, and she looks extremely bored. She raises one of her eyebrows. "Obviously. Because I care so much about how others think I looks." She remarks, and I could hear the heavy sarcasm. I still wanted to know.

"Well, why did you do it?" I ask.

She sighs. "Why would you want to know? I'm guessing you don't care, so why?"

I have to admit, she kinda left me speechless with that. I did care, but if I let her know that she'd go apeshit on me. Not that she hasn't already. I leave with a quiet 'whatever' and go to my own locker. First period would be starting soon anyways.

Faith's POV

Ah, Nick is such a dumbass. But I had no time to really think about it anyway, as I had to run to get into first period on time.

Honestly, first period was the same. As I put my stuff away and grabbed my other books, my locker slammed. Without looking up I scowl. "What the fuck do you want now, Nick?

When there is silence I look up to see that it's actually Julia. "Dammit, Jules I'm sorry." I apologize.

She laughs. "It's cool, Faith. Anyway, do I have to remind you of your fight tonight?"

My eyes widen. "Well maybe you should be my manager, because damn you're right!" I exclaim.

I get out my phone and send my parents a quick little text message about the "session of studying" that I scheduled. Hoping they see it, I go off to my second period.

Again, same thing. What can happen in a classroom for fifty-four minutes?

A lot, actually. But nothing did actually happen, so boo.

One thing I do realize, after less than half a day, is that looks honestly affect people's opinions of you, and it's sad. Really sad.

But now I'm not the little nerd with the 'so ugly it's cute' vibe.

I'm a badass, sorta-emo-looking girl.

Let's change this up.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Hi everyone!

Edit: another filler, not interesting. But I promise it builds up to something!!
Made this longer bc it was cringey and had no detail :(

-Grace :)