Chapter 25: Above The Clouds

Word count: 2168

As I boarded the plane, I recognized the small seating area, two-seats-per-side organization, and..... TV on the backs of seats? Since when did that happen?

We took our tickets and looked at them. We walked through the plane to the Coach section and sat down. Julia and I put our big bags in the carriers on top, while I kept my pillow, headphones, phone, and iPad. About fifteen minutes later we heard a voice on the loud speaker.

Hello everyone and welcome to Delta Airlines. My name is David and I will be your pilot today. Please go to the safety tutorial video on the screen in front of you.

I tapped the screen and it came to life almost instantly. A video started to play about plane safety. It had some humor at parts, and occasionally I'd hear someone chuckle.

After the video stopped, the screen turned off and I heard the same voice on the loudspeaker.

Hello again. This is a notice that we are going to take off very soon. Please fasten your seat belts to ensure a safe takeoff. I will tell you when we are at altitude and you can take off your seat belts. Thank you and enjoy the flight.

As the message ended I heard the engine roar to life. I looked out the window to see the plane slowly moving toward a runway. I continued to gaze outside; I wanted to see the moment we went up. I mean i've been on a plane before, but that was when I was pretty little. Most of our vacations were by car or train.

The plane had started to accelerate and the surroundings outside of the plane were but a blur of color. And when the jet gradually got even louder, I felt the wheels lift off the ground and into the sky.

***********************************************

The feelings of going up at an angle like this was thrilling. It took my breath away.

I looked outside the window and saw that we were approaching clouds. And I used to think that travelling above the clouds was impossible. But I was easily proven wrong. I made no noise, just looked out the window in astonishment. We soon went over the cloud and it was pure beauty. Never had I seen such a sight.

After about 5 more minutes of this the voice came onto the loudspeaker

We are now at altitude. You can take your seatbelts off and flight attendants will be coming around serving food and drink. Thank you.

I tapped the screen in front of me and it came back to life, showing multiple music, television, and movie selections. I tapped the music selection Today's Rap Hits, and listened to that. I looked up, and beside the light, I saw a blue sign that said Wi-Fi, and it was glowing. I stared up at it. Jesus, what more did this have to offer?

As if on cue a lady came around with a cart serving food and drinks. "Hello ladies, would you like anything?" She asked kindly. I smiled up at her and ordered a sprite and some peanuts and pretzels. Julia got the same and the hunger that had been growing in my stomach had been satisfied. I sipped the cool drink, and it revitalized my taste buds so a shudder went through me.