Chapter 8: Crippled

Crippled.

A new word to describe what I was.

I walked into school. Well, I don't think It counts if you're on crutches. Because of this injury, I knew in my heart that I was a big target for people like Tiffany.  I ignored everyone, and never made eye contact. This continued until lunchtime. Tiffany came and pushed me over. "Did Falcon get a boo-boo? Ha ha ha ha ha!" I stood and looked directly at her. I saw the flicker of doubt across her face, even though her confident smirk remained intact.

Without a doubt, I slapped her hard across the face and used my good leg to kick one of her friends down. "No shit, Sherlock." I mumbled as I walked away.

At lunch I felt so depressed I didn't even talk to Julia. I just sat there, picking at my lunch. "Hey! Faith! Earth to Faith?" She exclaimed, waving her arms in front of me. "Shut up." I said quietly, still picking at my lunch. "Faith, you can't shut out the world!" She said. I looked directly at her. At first she was happy I looked up, but when she saw my face, her smile sank. "Why fucking not?" I almost yelled.

She remained silent and looked away. Nick and his friends were looking at me. Nick looked legitimately worried. Was it possible that he actually had feelings for me?

5 minutes before lunch period ended, Julia and I walked to my locker to get my stuff. Julia left me after the lunch bell rang because she had to get to class. Nick must have followed us or something, because he walked up to me with a concerned look in his face. "You okay?" He asked. I grunted and started toward my Science classroom. "Can I help you?" He asked. I looked up at him and dumped my books into his hands. "You do know this is going to start rumors, right?" I mumbled, looking in his direction."I don't care" he said. I told him where my desk was and he put my stuff down. Since he didn't have Science with me, he left, but looked back at me with a satisfied smile on his face.

I was certain. Nick must like me.

After class, I saw Tiffany with he friends,whispering and pointing to me.
Great. Fucking great. I was right.
This is going to be almost as big a deal as when I broke my leg a day ago.

Why did he do that?