37

[amber’s pov]

I could feel the topic wasn’t one he felt like talking more about - but I just couldn’t help asking carefully, “oh - someone close to you then?”

He moved uncomfortably under my glance and started walking again, “yeah I guess you could call it that.”

I stood there and gazed after him for a short second, how even through the thick jacket you could see his shoulders were down, his neck bend, once again as if he was Atlas carrying the world on his shoulders. He had his reasons for having done what he had - and if he wasn’t ready to tell me about that, it was perfectly okay. We continued in silence.

I noticed we were getting closer to The Millennium Park, more tourists were starting to turn up as well as we turned onto the East Washington street.

“Do you want to grab something to drink?” I asked Harry with a realization of how cold it actually was - and glad to have come up with a new topic. My eyes had rested on the lights from a still open Dunkin’ Donuts - it was probably one of those which were open 24 hours.

I watched him, as he followed my gaze to the store with the pink and orange light. A cab drove by as some grown ups were laughing further down the street.

“Dunkin’ Donuts?” His smile grew after he had nodded at my suggestion and we had started to cross the street. His tone implied slight disbelief and amusement.

“Not as good coffee as Cafe du Acta obviously - nothing can beat that - but still a decent opponent for a chain store!” I debated his questioning tone, watching how his smile grew wider and he murmured a ‘yeah sure’. I was glad I hadn't ruined everything with my stupid questions from before.

As we reached the store he pushed the glass door open with his back against it, “and I bet it’s even better when you make it right? The latte art heart just puts it out of reach - am I right?” Relieved that he wasn’t mad at me or anything I giggled at his teasing question, as his green eyes looked at me. A thrill went through my body, as I realized he had remembered Jenny’s drunk talk about my latte art hearts.

“Yeah, yeah definitely - it’s the state of the art when we’re talking coffee in Chicago.”

As he held the door open for me, I couldn’t help admiring his appearance again. His brown messy hair blew in the wind, his cheeks were flushed from the cold and his green eyes were just so... alive. Alive with that spark - you would usually get that spark when you were more happy than you could imagine or when you’d been out walking, doing exercise or stuff like that which made you feel alive.

His features were model material - I thought again, this time without even an inch of doubt. Seeing him there holding the door, while the other Winter timid customers inside the store all looked so grey and average. So normal. Their hair messy too - but in a boring way, their cheeks flushed too - but not in that charming way like him. He looked like a freaking angel with his dimples and that oh so damn hipster appearance. A hipster angel. I giggled at the thought. 

And he was holding the door for me! I ducked under his arm with a ‘thank you’, which made a deep chuckle rumble through him. I loved the sound though - I bet that was the sound of an actual angel laughing. Christ what was wrong with me! I wasn’t usually this cheesy. I rolled my eyes at myself, as he came to my side and took in the view.

In the glass cases were row upon row of colorful donuts. The scent in here was like sugar and coffee in an almost unbearable mix.

“Give me a chance.” Harry stated out loud with a confident smirk.

“What?” He lifted his index finger in the air, and smiled crookedly at me with amusement.

“The song - it’s by Gotye.” We had only been in here for three seconds! How the hell had he managed to make out which bloody song it was! Listening closely I discovered I hadn't heard it before. But he was probably right. 

“Oh ehm - wow. You’re quite musical aren’t you?” He just laughed at me, “might be.”

People were laughing, as they started getting warm again in here, I watched with disbelief how Harry opened his jacket a little, while watching the menu.

“Can we order to go?” I looked suspiciously at Harry as he even took off the jacket and held it over his arm casually. Did he want to stay in here? It wasn’t exactly cozy with the sharp light and it was pretty stuffed with people - so even the small tables at the windows were taken. And I had wanted to show him something in the park...

He forced his eyes off the menu, while I stuck my nose deeper into the scarf, as the door was opened again - letting in the freezing cold air.

“Yeah, yeah - that’s what I thought you meant,” then why was he taking off his jacket? His eyes glided back to the menu, that constant smile playing at the corner of his mouth, as the line moved a little. I had my hands buried deep into my pockets - still even with my mittens on. If it wasn’t for the fact I thought he was  crazy for taking off the jacket - I would definitely not have minded him doing it. I had always had a thing for guys in sweaters. Harry wasn’t an exception. The dark grey material hung perfectly over his torso. How the sleeves were just a little too long, so they covered half of his hands.  As I watched him with fascination, something behind him caught my attention - a noise.

With a slightly growing flush from having stared at him I located the sound - a group of giggling girls, a little younger than us, who too had noticed just how awfully well that sweater suited him. And probably how he looked like a hot cuddable band member with that perfectly messy hair of his and those beautiful jade green eyes. I wondered if they knew he actually was in a band? God they really did think he was hot! The girl with blonde curls caught my eyes with curiousity, and I quickly looked away.

This felt so strange, but I couldn’t help smirking. Harry hadn’t noticed anything at all, as he turned to me, with that sweet innocent smile, “so what do you want?”

“Something hot!” I bursted out - not really thinking my words through. I blushed immediately as he lifted one eyebrow at me, “I mean - something warm. It's ...it’s quite cold outside. I... I mean.”

Please vote & comment. 

a/n: *face palms over amber* anyway - thank you guys for everything ! :) got a new chapter ready for tomorrow ^^ And don't worry - you'll get to know whom Harry was talking about at some point ;) so where do you think Amber is taking him? :) 

Oh and the song playing in the store is in the sidebar ^^ x

[ i've never been to chicago - but i love to do the research so there actually IS a dunkin' donuts on that street I mentioned ha :D But yeah - never actually been in a dunkin' donuts either so.. o.o anybody ever been? Is it good? :D ]