Chapter Ten

To the right, in front of campus were The Lynndale Stable and Riding Field

To the right, in front of campus were The Lynndale Stable and Riding Field. Inside the reddish-brown building were twelve stables. Those stalls belonged to the twelve fortunate students who competed in a rigorous obstacle course. They had to be flawless to earn a spot on the Dawson Equestrian team. For anyone who knocked down a pole, or showed a horse that displayed disobedience, their only consolation was the fact that they were students of the esteemed academy.

This year there were four seniors on the team. Isabeth was one of them. In her blue polo, white riding breeches, and boots she fastened the girth of the English saddle on her black Irish Draught, Kerma. As Isabeth grabbed the reins in her left hand, she firmly stuck her left foot in the stirrup. She pushed off her right foot and her body lunged into the air. She landed gently on the saddle.

Horseback riding was second nature to Isabeth. She'd been riding horses as far back as she could remember. The clicking of the hooves on the dirt was a harmonious tone to her ears. A harmonious tone that she was in great need of now because her troubled soul was wiping waves of anguish. All of the stresses of the world were silent when she was galloping with Kerma, which is why she practically ran to practice today. Sitting on top of Kerma, the turmoil in her mind began to subside. The convictions of her conscience turned down its volume and allowed her an ounce of peace.

Isabeth clicked her heels and Kerma emerged from his stall. Persia, a white American Quarter strutted by with Faith, leading the way.

"Trouble in wonderland?" Faith asked steering Persia to Isabeth's side.

"What?" Isabeth harked strapping on her helmet not wanting to hear Mrs. Valens' safety is everything rant.

A bitchy smile glowed on Faith's café au lait face, "After third period, Erin told me you walked into class hugged up with the lunatic, pissing off lover boy."

"I helped Benny to class." Isabeth groaned twisting the reins in her hands. "Shit! Ya'll need to deal with the issues in your own melodramatic lives." The petty gossip reminded her of a bigger problem, " While we're on the subject of lover boys." She maneuvered Kerma around the blond steed being led in the stable. "Your liking for midnight sex-capades with Malachi is wrecking my sleep schedule. Fix it!" She instructed Kerma to speed up is gait.

Faith didn't take the hint. She ordered Persia to do the same. "I can't help it." 

Faith's blond ponytail bounced with the movement. "I'm stressed, and you don't have to share a room with one of your parent's charity cases," Faith whined.

"Don't call her that." The calming clicking of the horse's hooves died out as the girls exited the stable. "I like Maya and you know I don't have many friends that are girls." She side-eyed Faith.

Faith tsked. "I know we're not friends anymore." She sincerely held her chest. "Trust me when I say I'm not resubmitting an application." She let her hand fall on her black breeched covered thigh. "But I de-stress by having sex." A sparkle ignited in her Aegean eyes as she gasped. "We should have a party." Isabeth started to shake her head. "Hear me out." She swallowed looking ahead and ignoring Isabeth's annoyed disposition. "Partying is another way for me to relax. We have one of those and that way you can sleep without another breathing soul."

"We have a research paper due, dumb ass." Isabeth reminded as they stopped their thoroughbreds at the white fence of the practice pen alongside their fellow teammates.

"Don't worry yourself about that, we're seniors. We know how to prioritize." Faith waved off Isabeth's uncertainty. "I'll find a place. Just show up."

Isabeth opened her mouth just about to reiterate how they weren't friends anymore. The truth was they were never just friends in the first place. Having mothers that were best friends since college placed them in this weird territory between sisters and cousins.

"Show up for what?" Gavin atop his chocolate Hanoverian Steed, Speed Racer, pushed his way between the girls.

Faith inched her horse away from his, "None of your fucking business!"

"Are you two a thing, now!" Came a feathery voice at Faith's side.

"Gidget." Faith whipped her head toward the wafer-thin strawberry blond. "You're talking to me because..." Faith held out her hand waiting for an answer.

Isabeth shook her head watching three vultures circle in the skin over the Piney Woods.

Gidget moved her horse away from them as Gavin draped his arm around Faith's shoulder, "Why so hostile, Goldilocks?" He teased. For a student who missed the first semester, he slipped right back into his routine.

Faith slapped his hand that was way too close to her breast and flexed his arm off of her.

Mrs. Valens grimaced at Gavin gesturing for him to put his helmet on. He ignored the woman turning his attention to Isabeth.

"She wants to have a fete," Isabeth shared with him shaking her head in disapproval.

"A fete! I'm with Pocahontas," He pointed toward Isabeth. "Dumb idea. Plus, we just go back from partying."

"I already texted Malachi." She held up her phone. "Just bring your ass." She commanded looking at Isabeth just before Mrs. Valens signaled for them to enter the practice pen. 

Should they have another party or is it a recipe for disaster?