Chapter Fifty-One

Thunder bashed outside rattling the car

Thunder bashed outside rattling the car. Maya jumped out of her sleep hitting her head on the window. She pulled her phone out of her pocket.

"9:05...in the morning..." Maya spoke to herself looking out the window. It was daytime but she couldn't tell the difference. Lightning strikes brightened the sky periodically. The car rocked slowly being lifted off the ground because of the collecting water in the low bearing parking lot. Maya tugged on the door handle and cracked it open. Raindrops clashed into the water that rose by the passing seconds.

She dipped her foot in the water and then placed the other one down. She pressed the door closed, as the water was nearly mid-calf high. Her rubber flip-flops turned slick from the water. She stabilized herself against the car forging ahead. She created waves as she moved closer to the asylum door. Walking on the concrete was easy. The tiles inside the building proved to be a big problem.

Maya fell on her butt as soon as she entered the hospital. She slapped her cold hands on the floor and pushed herself up. Thunder roared. Another pop of lightning hit and the lights in the building cut out.

"Shit!" Maya exclaimed as water seeped under the door behind her.

Did you really think Maya was going to sit this one out?