Chapter Twenty-Eight

"It's all gone," Isabeth whispered

       "It's all gone," Isabeth whispered. She slowly lowered her body on the second to last step. She sighed dejectedly as her eyes glossed over the shadows, the fading sun cast on the white walls and empty floors.

       Benny sat in the space she left next to the wall, "What's gone?"

        "His stuff." Isabeth combed her hand through her hair and stuffed a piece behind her ear. "They got rid of all his stuff. He's gone." She winced, closing her eyes as tears burned in the wells. "He's really gone."

       Benny toyed with his pant leg. He didn't know what to say or what to do. He wanted to stroke her back and soothe her pain but that would probably be to forward, so he kept his hands on his knees. He wasn't acquainted with death but he was a close friend with sorrow. "Things get better." He shook his head at himself after the statement fell from his mouth. It didn't sound that cliché in his head.

       Isabeth wiped the tears from her eyes and let her sight land on his feet. He had on oxfords with scuff marks etched on the side. "Are they get worse."

       "Why would they get worse?"

       "You can't do evil and expect to get blessed."

         "Who did evil?" He lowered his head so he could connect with her eyes. "You?" He rested his hand on her shoulder so he could see her better, the pain scouring her auburn eyes. "You were justified in your actions. You aren't evil. Don't you ever think that? You're a good person, Isabeth. You did what you had to do."

        She nodded at what he said and he let his hand fall from her shoulder. Isabeth stepped off the stair and walked into the vast space with gray walls that use to be Kevin's sitting area. The place they relaxed during the summer and snuck off to during the winter when too much family crowded the house. She turned back toward Benny and the motion caused her dress to fly up revealing her black legging covered thighs.

         Isabeth clasped her hands in front of her, "Why do you live in a hospital?" She had been curious about that since she first laid eyes on him.

         "My doctor thinks it's less stressful." Benny stood up and undid his tie as he walked past her.

       "What does your new doctor think?"

      Benny pulled the tie from around his neck as he turned toward her, "How do you know I have a new doctor."

        "Just a hunch." She shrugged.

        "Methinks..." He wrapped the tie around his hand. "Do you want me living on campus?"

         Isabeth slightly smiled as she walked over to the massive window that showcased the makeshift golf course she, Troy, and Kevin made one Spring Break. "I just think you need some normal." He stood next to her and she took in a breath. "And you can't be normal if you're the weird boy that lives in a hospital."

      He looked at her, shocked by her honesty that wasn't laced in animosity.

       Isabeth scrunched up her face and looked at him, "I gotta pee."

        Benny's mouth gapped open. "Well, Isabeth Ovien." He tsked. "That's not ladylike."

         Isabeth stepped back and then curtsied, "Good thing I don't have to be ladylike around you, Benjamin Lemen." She wanted to add I can just be me but she thought against it and climbed the stairs instead.

     As the water surged back into the toilet, Isabeth pumped a quarter-size dollop of lemon-scented soap into her hands. She lathered the creamy mixture onto her skin then slid her hands under the warm water, washing it all away. She didn't look in the mirror; she didn't feel like critiquing her appearance.

      She stood in the hallway trying to fight the urge to visit Kevin's room. Her willpower wasn't strong enough so she walked down the long hallway. She twisted the copper knob, slowly. She took a deep breath trying to tame her emotions and swung the door open. The same smell of mixed berries lingered, reminding her of when they were children. All the memories came flooding back. The barbecues, sleepovers, Easter egg hunts; all the things they cherished when they were eight. She wiped away the falling tear, closed the door, and walked back down the hall.

      She heard moaning as she passed by Peter's room. She hadn't seen Kevin's older brother since they left the graveyard. He must've been hiding out in his room. Isabeth could only imagine how Peter felt. Kevin wasn't even her brother and she couldn't stand hanging around all the people babbling downstairs about the weather, politics, and stocks.

     Isabeth tried to think of the right thing to say as she opened the door. The hinges were soundless as the door cracked open and all the words swarming through Isabeth's head abandoned her. The scene playing before her eyes stole her voice and convoluted her emotions. Faith's red dress hiked up, around her waist. Troy's pants were gathered around his ankles as he gripped Faith's thighs around his waist. Leaning against the wall in a dark corner, they thrust against each other.

      Isabeth closed the door quickly and quietly. She briskly walked down the hallway and ran down the stairs, rushing past Maya and bumping into Gavin.

      Gavin latched his hand around her arm, stopping her forward motion. He glared at her with furrowed eyebrows, "What's wrong?" He glanced up the stairs. "Where's everybody?"

      "Nothing." She pulled her arm out of his grasp. "G...take me home." She forged toward the door not waiting for his answer.

      Gavin looked back up the stairs. The staircase captivating his attention for a couple of seconds then he pulled his valet ticket from his pocket and followed Isabeth's steps.  

Should Isabeth be upset about Faith and Troy?