Chapter Twenty-Seven

Kevin's funeral lasted an excruciating hour and forty-five minutes

    Kevin's funeral lasted an excruciating hour and forty-five minutes. Kevin's friends and family gathered at the Tomlinson's estate, an English Manor-styled home to show their condolences. Benny stood on the outside of the huddles of people absorbing it all since he was neither friend nor family. Regardless, he still expressed his sorrow to Kevin's family like Malachi told him too. They remained clueless to who he was since he introduced himself as just Benjamin.

    Benny, in a black suit, floated under the radar as he took in the happenings in the expansive house. In the living room under the soaring ceiling with solid maple beams, a woman, Benny assumed was her mother, held Isabeth close to her side while a man, presumably her father, soothed her cheek as he spoke to her then kissed her forehead. Benny had enough of the parental love so he meandered down the hall until familiar voices peeked his attention.

   He peeked through the study's cracked door listening in on the conversation.

    "He asked me to study with him but..." Malachi paused, "I was still pissed about Benny, and I blew him off." Malachi stared in the glass of lukewarm cola and Benny felt sorry for his brother. Benny could care less out Kevin but because his brother was hurting, he also had an ache in his heart.

   "Don't feel guilty." Troy placed his hand on Malachi's back. "He tripped and broke his neck. It was an accident. Not preventable or explainable. Sometimes bad shit just happens." Troy's hand fell from Malachi's back as the boy rose up from the desk. "The shits worse when it happens to you."

   "We're young." A raspy feminine voice proclaimed and even though Benny couldn't see her face he knew it was Faith. "We're supposed to be talking about prom and college, not death."

   "I think Mr. Payson has it right." Benny knew that voice anywhere. That was Lucas and the oration of it made Benny's insides crawl. "We should embrace the time we got to know him and leave it at that."

   Benny heard clicking heels nearing the door and he skittered down the hallway and rounded the cornered. He bumped someone's shoulder.

    "Watch out." The honeyed voice affirmed.

    Benny stopped and turned, "I'm sorry." Benny rubbed his neck and let his hand rest in the crook. "I didn't know it was you."

    "Benny." A faint smile formed on Isabeth's demure face. "You're here."

     He let his hand fall to his side, "I am." 

Do you think Isabeth is happy to see Benny or surprised?