Chapter Forty-Six

"What if he's right?" Isabeth pondered aloud as she and Faith sat by the pool with their legs submerged in the warm water

Faith stopped looking at the overcast sky, "Don't let your feelings for some boy complicate your judgment."

"I'm not." Isabeth refuted.

"You are." Faith moved her legs making small ripples in the pool. "He's cute if you like that mysterious, brooding thing. But we have to do this whether he's on board or not."

Isabeth toyed with her pearl earring as she stared at the pine trees in front of them. "I'm just...." She remembered all the headlines they found in the folder. "They're not going to be law-abiding citizens once we let them out."

"That's not our problem." Faith pulled her hair tie off her ponytail letting her locks fall down her back. "For once, let's do as we're told."

"You." Isabeth grinned then bumped Faith's shoulder. "Doing what you're told. People do change."

"I'm still a rebel." Faith felt the raindrop fall on her arm. "I just want to get this over with."

"Old best friends are new again, I see." The statement made Isabeth and Faith turn around.

"Fiona." Isabeth looked up at the girl, standing in the middle of Maya and Gidget. "Isn't it time we move on?"

Faith turned back around, "Gidget, I see you went from dork-tastic to cover girl in one day."

"Thank-you," Gidget said with a perk. "I think?"

Fiona elbowed Gidget then rolled her eyes at the girl. "Some betrayals are unforgivable, Isabeth."

"Betrayals." Isabeth laughed. "You told me you were going to dump Bennet after Christmas 'cause you wanted to make sure you got your present." Maya gasped and Isabeth went on. "You said the long-distance thing wasn't working for you."

"Not the point, Isa." Fiona was beginning to lose her temper as her silk dress whipped in the window. "He was my boyfriend and the bitch screwed him." She took a breath as her eyes burrowed in the back of Faith's head. "And if you continue to associate with her then we can't talk."

"Well, Fi...do what you have to do." Isabeth shrugged. "All I know is...people make mistakes and do things we don't like. It's called life. We can either forgive or don't but I'm not going to be threatened like we're fourth-graders at recess."

Fiona nodded then strutted off. Gidget followed behind her like a minion-in-training.

"I'm not in fourth grade," Maya affirmed with her hand in the pockets of her jeans. "And Faith...you were right." She spoke to Faith's back. "This isn't my world and I'd rather remain foreign to it." She gave Isabeth a half-smile and then walked back to the house.

"See that, Faith." Isabeth playfully slapped Faith's shoulder. "You made a friend."

"Tomorrow, we break into Everclear." Faith pushed off the pool's edge and plunged her body into the water.     

Is Fiona right, should she still be mad at Faith or should she let it go?