Chapter Twenty-Three

A horde of students poured out Toliver Cathedral and in the midst of that chatty crowd was Isabeth

     A horde of students poured out Toliver Cathedral and in the midst of that chatty crowd was Isabeth. Her boisterous ponytail danced in the rare humid breeze and her spaghetti-strapped shoulders were sunken. Kevin's memorial was supposed to lift spirits but all it did was depress her more. She couldn't wait to leave, board the plane and get home.

   Yes, she was going home to attend Kevin's funeral but she would be away from campus, out of Kyren and maybe...just maybe her nightmares of John Fulton wouldn't follow her. In her bedroom, with her parents' room downstairs maybe she would get a good night's sleep. She desperately needed another one. The last time she had a full eight hours of terror-free rest was in Benny's hospital room and going back there was out of the question.

    "Look." Fiona swatted Isabeth's arm then pointed. "What is she doing?"

     Fiona broke into a run and Isabeth chased her. They weaved through huddles of students and classmates on the sidewalk then zipped around cars rolling through the parking lot. Their feet stopped in front of the all-black Escalade.

     "What's going on?" Fiona asked while Isabeth caught her breath.

Harper unfolded her arms as she weakly pushed herself off the SUV, "My mom and Astrid think this campus is too dangerous." She air quoted then pushed her sunglasses to the top of her head.

    Isabeth could tell her rosy-eyed friend had been crying. "Are you okay?" She stroked Harper's shoulder while they watched Dunphy load Harper's belonging in the back of the SUV.

     "I don't want to go back to Switzerland," Harper whined. "I like America." She dropped her head.

    "Come on...it won't be that bad." Isabeth squeezed Harper's shoulder. She looked to Fiona for a little help.

    "You'll get to go to Zurich on the weekend." Fiona offered with a shrugged.

    "And what can I do in Zurich," Harper asked with narrowed eyes.

    "I don't know." Fiona shrugged her shoulders again. "Never been."

   Isabeth frowned at Fiona then rolled her eyes at the girl. Dunphy slammed the rear door closed and Harper groaned like a wounded puppy.

     "Sven's there." Isabeth ignored the bitter taste in her mouth that arose every time she spoke his name. "He's your favorite cousin."

     "Not really." Harper pouted. "Dagny is."

    "Dagny's there!" Isabeth concurred. "And so is Preston! You love Preston."

     The utterance of the boy's name brought a smile to Harper's face.

     "We all love Preston." Fiona smiled a little bigger than her friend. "Can I come with you?"

     "Simmer down girl," Harper said. "My homie only has eyes for one girl." She wiggled her eyebrows at Isabeth.