Chapter Twenty-Five

Benny didn't have childhood memories flooding his mind as the town car maneuvered down the row house laden street of Evening, Massachusetts

     Benny didn't have childhood memories flooding his mind as the town car maneuvered down the row house laden street of Evening, Massachusetts. This was only his third time being in the posh seaside town; his first being right after Malachi checked him out of the mental hospital.

       Benny rubbed his hands over his face as the driver parallel parked the car. His eyes were tired and his brain felt like the overworked legs of a hamster that spin its wheel one too many times.

      "It's going to be fine," Malachi affirmed with a playful slap to Benny's arm.

        Benny dropped his hands into his lap, "She read the file and she's fine...it doesn't scare her."

          "Good." Malachi glanced at the driver, see if his eyes were straight ahead and not in the rearview mirror. But then again the man's ears were open so, Malachi picked his words carefully. "Dr. Fulton's extra-curricular activities don't scare her. That's a good thing. For society and us."

       Benny rubbed his neck, "You sure?"

        "I'm sure." Malachi pulled the handle and opened the door.

       Benny heard Malachi tapped on the trunk as he recollected his thoughts. Just before leaving Kyren, Benny got a text from Dr. Weiss to meet her at Gomes Diner by the airfield. The diner was nearly empty since it was a couple of hours after lunch. Dr. Weiss nursed a coffee while Benny examined her every move. Her hands didn't shake as she dropped two cubes of sugar in the mug, her lip didn't quiver as she raised the mug to her mouth and her voice didn't tremble as she spoke seamlessly. The patients in that file should've scared her. Hell, Benny read the first patient's page and he had nightmares for a week.

       "You coming?" Malachi shouted through the window.

      Benny pushed back his confusion and got out the car. Malachi tossed him his bag and they climb up the stoop.

       Malachi stopped at the door, "She doesn't need to know about this."

     "I won't tell your mom," Benny affirmed. "I promise."

      Malachi swung the door open and they were bombarded with the theme of Looney Tunes.

       Benny liked visiting Malachi's family. Everything was so normal and calm. The entryway wasn't a shrine that belonged in a museum. There were cedar floors and earth-tone walls throughout. Instead of a famous multi-million dollar painting adorning the wall, there were family portraits and childhood school pictures.

     "Chi! Chi! Chi!" A little girl with fluffy pigtails and a Kool-Aid smile ran toward them.

     "Bianca" Malachi dropped his duffle and swung the girl in the air, "Well, at least someone missed me." Malachi put her down, as they both laughed with exerted breaths.

     "Mama's cooking your favorite." Bianca huffed out. She shifted her attention to Benny standing warily next to them. She shot over to him and wrapped her arms around his waist. "BB2."