Chapter Forty-Five

Benny was partially telling the truth when he told Isabeth he moved into Eagle dorm so he wouldn't be revered as the weird boy that lives at a hospital

Benny was partially telling the truth when he told Isabeth he moved into Eagle dorm so he wouldn't be revered as the weird boy that lives at a hospital. He also didn't tell the girls that he had a suspicious festering in his mind and eating a hole on his stomach. He had to make sure it wasn't true and tonight would be the best night because his defenses would be down as his bloodstream had a higher consistency of alcohol. Trees hid Gavin's four thousand square foot, one-story house of wonderment, like everything in the Piney Woods. He didn't know which cars belonged to whom but he knew the house was going to be packed.

Benny dodged streams of water being exchanged in a water gun fight as he made his way to the double front doors, which were wide open. The booming music hit him before he stepped into the foyer. The house's open floor plan dropped him right in on all the action. He stood at the top of the two stairs in front of the living room taking in the view. His classmates, those whose names he didn't know, danced in the middle of the floor that was usually a living room. He couldn't deny the infectiousness of the music as she rocked back and forth to the fast hip hop beats. Fiona, Maya, and Gidget, who look a lot different than when she stopped by his room yesterday, were in the corner talking. Past them was a kitchen where Gavin was mixing drinks as Tinsley and Ethan gabbed next to him. Loud shouts traveled down the side hallway, peaking Benny's attention. He followed it.

The shouts led him to an expansive game room that claimed a wing of the house. A three-lane bowling alley was in the back and every time a strike was hit lights flashed and upbeat music rung. A dartboard was in the corner and Gretchen Morrison's aim was clearly off because she hit the wall more than the board. Hugh Moreau and Quentin Barnett were aggressively playing fooseball over to the side.

In the middle of the room, Dalton and Will were on the sofa in front of a sixty-inch flat screen playing Mortal Kombat while Rashid El-Haddin and Troy claimed they had next. And several feet behind the sofa was a pool table where Troy, Malachi, and Blair played.

Benny walked over to the table and Troy rolled his eyes. Troy put down his pool stick, "This game is getting boring." He professed then walked off.

"Damn," Blair exclaimed as he applied chalk to the end of his cue stick. "He can't stand you."

Malachi watched the red ball stop two inches next to the corner pocket. "You're up." He informed Blair.

Blair studied the table as Malachi sidled next to Benny, "What are you doing here?" He asked while watching Will massacre Dalton's player.

"To pay my respects," Benny answered as he picked up Troy's cue stick. "But this doesn't look like a memorial."

Malachi grabbed a beer off the high table against the wall, "What did you envision? Candles, hymn singing, and sad eyes."

"Not full-throttle partying."

"Brittany loved partying." Malachi took a swig of beer and quickly swallowed. "It's the best way to remember her." He watched Blair level his stick in front of a green ball. Benny reached for his beer and Malachi pulled his hand back. "You can't have alcohol." He narrowed his eyes at Benny. "And you know why."

"How do you know why?" Benny inquired as Blair sent the green ball sailing into the right pocket. "Because Father only knew and...you don't talk to him."

Malachi pulled the brown glass bottle away from his mouth leaving a hint of brew glistening on his bottom lip, "Don't call him my Father." He said low enough so just Benny could hear. "And I know because your Mom told me where you were. That's how I knew how to get you out of the hospital and how I found Fulton."

Benny turned his back to the rest of the room and faced Malachi, "I going to ask you something brother and I want you to be honest."

"Always," Malachi affirmed looking at Benny more serious.

Benny took a deep breath as his heart skipped a beat; "Fulton told me once that I was a sheep among wolves. I've been stabbed in the back by family so I need to know...or you a wolf or a sheep."

Malachi rested his hand on Benny's shoulder. "I'm the black sheep, remember." He smiled showing off his left dimple. "I'll never stab you in the back. If anything...I'll take the hit myself."

"You little bastard!" Lucas shouted as he stormed into the room. "You've been talking shit about me, behind my back." He pushed Benny. Benny caught off guard and off balance fell into Malachi. "I knew you were a weasel since the first day I saw you!"

Benny pushed Malachi's hands off him as he gained his footing. He faced Lucas with rage in his eyes. "I'm the weasel!" He looked away from Lucas that was the embodiment of anger and onto all the eyes that stared at them around the room. "How? Everyone knows what I did. I even have a nickname because of it. You're the only liar here. Why don't you tell everyone who...you.... really...are?"

Lucas took a step back, his face turning to steel, "I'm Lucas Plaint from Connecticut."

"Yes!!" Benny orated grandiosely. "You are Lucas Plaint from Connecticut." Benny walked around Lucas. "Lucas Plaint, the orphan from Connecticut. The orphan shot his father during a hunting trip." He air-quoted and Blair's mouth fell open. "The orphan that served his mother tea three weeks after his father's funeral. Such a kind gesture." Benny mockingly clutched his heart with sincerity as he faced Gretchen and Hugh. "I mean...it would have been if.... he didn't lace it with arsenic." Benny pointed to the bottle in Dalton's hand. "You better make sure little Lucas didn't pass by that before you take a gulp."

It was the last thing Benny said before Lucas blasted his fist into his face

It was the last thing Benny said before Lucas blasted his fist into his face. The boys tore through the room like a tornado, exchanging blows and breaking tables. Lucas' head dented the wall and Benny's body broke a glass coffee table. It took Malachi, Blair, and Rashid to pull them apart. Benny sucked the blood from his busted lip as he watched Lucas catapult from the room.    

Well, Benny and Lucas' powder keg finally exploded. Should Benny trust Malachi?

 Should Benny trust Malachi?