Chapter Thirteen

Abraham Sycamore Library was a massive structure that sat alone behind the Welcome Center and in front of the Dining Hall

Abraham Sycamore Library was a massive structure that sat alone behind the Welcome Center and in front of the Dining Hall. The modern building had sleek lines and picturesque windows, and it stood five stories off the ground. The top floor housed rectangular tables surrounded by rows of books. Amidst other students briskly working on assignments, Benny found Isabeth and Troy.

       The awkwardness of the three of them in one group was averted with little eye contact and limited speech. Just saying yes, no, and over there. Isabeth felt the undesirable tension between Troy and Benny. Troy would make insults dressed in innocent comments. Benny would swallow his wrath and let him slide.

      "We should each research a topic that will comprise the body of the paper," Isabeth said looking over her laptop. Since the evening rolled around she'd been checking all the news outlets hoping no one found a body of a middle-aged male.

     "That's fine by me," Benny turned the pages of the book filled with government policies.

     "That just leaves the intro, conclusion, and Biblio," She informed, waiting for them to choose the part they would work on.

      "I'll do the intro," Benny spoke first.

      "I'll do the conclusion," Troy declared tapping his pencil on the mahogany table.

      Isabeth mumbled, "I guess I'm stuck with the Biblio."

       Hearing resentment in her tone Benny suggested, "I'll switch with you if you despise it so."

      Troy stopped tapping his pencil and rolled his eyes at Benny's eagerness to please her. "Don't cover for her. She can handle it."

         "Yeah, he's right." Isabeth clicked off the Houston Chronicle website. "I need to perfect that before college. It's kind of my area of weakness, but thanks." She gave him a weak smile.

         Troy shook his head with a frown to his olive-tinted face. "I need to find a book." He pushed his wooden chair back.

       Isabeth waited until Troy disappeared around the corner, "So what did you do..." She looked around to see if there were lingering ears. No one sat at the neighboring tables but she inched her chair closer to him anyways. "With...you know."

     Benny slowly lifted his eyes from the book to narrow them at her.

         Isabeth didn't want to say the word body but he was looking at her like the events of last night didn't happen. She tucked her shiny, onyx hair behind her ear displaying the beauty of the pearl stud. She swallowed before she opened her mouth to speak the word she didn't want to utter.

          "Just outside of town is a pig farm." Benny softly spoke placing his eyes back on the book. "And you should know pigs eat their own."

        Isabeth chewed her bottom lip. "Does that mean..."