Chapter Twenty-Six

Dark clouds crowded the sky, hiding the sun on this sorrow-filled day

     Dark clouds crowded the sky, hiding the sun on this sorrow-filled day. Limos and cars streamed into the parking lot of the little gray church. One of those cars was a chocolate Aston Martin. Troy slid the vehicle nicely into an open spot and killed the purring engine. He pulled the key from the ignition, sat his head back on the headrest then let out a heavy sigh.

     "You ready?" He turned toward her.

      Isabeth pushed up her black sunglasses, showing her bloodstained eyes as more tears continued to fall. "Do I look ready?"

      "We'll get through this." Troy tried to face her but the seat belt constricted his movements. He popped the seat belt unlocked and turned to her. He picked her hand up off her lap and massaged her soft skin. "Like we get through everything."

       Isabeth peered at him like a wide-eyed child, "How?"

      "Together." Troy smiled before wiping a tear resting on her cheek. "We can conquer the world together."

       Isabeth breathed deeply. She flung her arms around Troy's neck, pulling him closer to her, letting his calm heartbeat steady her frantic one. "I love you, Troy."

       Troy wrapped his arms around her waist wishing she didn't mean friend love but something much more. Something intimate. He swallowed his hidden feelings, "Love you too." He pulled back to see her glistening eyes. "Let's get this over with."

     Isabeth wiped her tears and reapplied her mascara before stepping out of the car. She waved to Malachi as he leaned against his car and she wondered if Benny was somewhere around too. She scanned the parking lot but didn't see the lean, standoffish boy.

      A fiery red convertible sped into the parking lot, with loud music blaring from the rolled-up windows. The car flew into the last vacant spot and came to a screeching halt. Maya popped from the passenger side of the car, her ponytail swung side to side as she strode to the church's open doors.

      Faith stepped out of the car and a gust of salty wind pulled her dress coat open exposing a red, body-hugging dress. Gavin muted his conversation with Malachi as he rushed to the convertible.

      "How dare you!" Gavin shouted with a face burning with rage. "What the fuck is your problem? Do you have a moral code? Your father is giving the sermon and our friend is dead in a coffin." He pointed to the church as tears streamed down his face.

     Faith pushed Gavin back, "Don't fucking start with me! I have on a dress coat and its fucking black."

      "Fuck a dress coat, you're ass should have on a black damn dress!" He swatted the collar of her coat.

Faith slapped his hand away from her, "I don't need some uptight, egotistical bastard telling me what to wear."

      "Yeah, just keep listening to your...." He moved closer to her face, "own bitch tendencies!"

      Faith pushed him away violently. Gavin stumbled back then rushed toward her with his fist clenched but she didn't flinch.

      Malachi ran over and grabbed Gavin's suit coat, pulling him back. "Come on, man. That's enough. Not today."

      "He's right, Gavin," Lucas said standing by the passenger side of Faith's car. "Be respectful of Kevin."

     Gavin turned back as Malachi continued to pull him away, "Shut the fuck up, Lucas! Why are you even here?"

      Isabeth wondered the same thing as she shook her head at Faith. Faith rolled her eyes at Isabeth then grabbed Lucas' hand. 

What do you think, was Faith wrong for wearing a red dress to a funeral?

Do you think Isabeth and Troy's 'I love you' to each other have the same meaning?