Chapter Forty-Three

Morning came and the sky was as murky as a swamp

Morning came and the sky was as murky as a swamp. Faith entered the Carmichael building looking unlike herself. For the first time since ninth grade, she participated in Casual Dress Friday in a Dawson Prep standard tracksuit. Her eyes were free of liner and her lashes were without mascara. Her usually styled hair was curling and hand-brushed back into a ponytail. She reached her locker and her cold, trembling hands slowly spun her combination.

A hand touched her shoulders sending a rush of chills up her spine that surge to the top of her head. Faith grabbed the hand and pounded the body attached to it against the yellow lockers.

"Faith! What the hell?" Isabeth yelled pushing her back forcefully. Their classmates stopped congregating to look their way and a teacher scowled at them.

"Sorry." Faith dimly spoke opening up her locker. "I didn't know it was you." She pulled her English box out of her bag and slid it into her immaculate locker.

Isabeth flexed her neck, "I don't need any more injuries or I'm going to end up in traction." She laughed at her accident proneness. Faith didn't say anything. Faith didn't mock her or bring up the time she fell off a curb and sprung her ankle. Faith just stared into her locker, unmoved. "Faith, what's the matter?" Isabeth placed her hand on Faith's shoulder.

Faith jumped back hitting the locker door.

"Faith." Isabeth stepped a little closer to her seeing the fear in her eyes. "Did someone do something to you?"

"This isn't working." Faith spoke in a quick, hushed tone. "We're stupid to think this could work." She dug into her pocket and pulled out a letter. "We should just give it what it wants. Do what they ask." She pushed the letter into Isabeth's chest before storming off.

Isabeth opened the jaggedly torn envelope and read the note. "Give it what it wants." She wished the words to herself watching the familiar faces fluttered past her. "Do what the Maker asks." She entertained the thought before putting the letter in her raincoat pocket. 

Is Faith right, should they just do what they are told?