Chapter Thirty-Seven

Thursdays were for studying

Thursdays were for studying. Fridays were for tests and labs. Today was Thursday. Eagle dorm was quiet as the doors on the third floor were open. No one talked about what happened the night before although Benny did hear a few snickers float passed the door.

"Noriega," Malachi said holding the crumpled review sheet in his hands.

"Panama," Benny answered pacing back and forth.

"Ceausescu," Malachi stated.

Benny stopped mid-pace. He tapped his temple. He knew he knew this. It was probably the lack of sleep from last night inhibiting his brain flow.

"Come on man." Malachi curled the paper in his hands. "This test is timed. Go with your first instinct."

"Romania." Benny blurted out.

Malachi nodded with a proud grin on his face. "Good. Good. What about China?"

"Mao Zedong." Benny pronounced every syllable as he started back pacing. "That was easy. Give me another one."

"Okay, smartass, Stalin?" Malachi asked sitting back on his bed. "Where was he a dictator?"

Benny smiled. He knew this. "Stalingrad," He replied as he cockily sat at his textbook covered desk.

Malachi rolled open the review sheet with a puzzled look on his face. Once his russet eyes ran to the bottom, he smiled. "Unconfident yourself, bruh." He folded the paper back up and Benny looked at him blankly. "Because Stalingrad is a city. It's USSR. You lose! Quiz me." He threw the review sheet at Benny.

Benny caught the sheets of paper on their way to the floor and checked the answer again.

Someone knocked on the opened door. "What?" Malachi asked as he jumped up and down like a boxer pumping himself up. The girl standing in the doorway was plain with brown-framed glasses and blue-black hair but it was her eyes that drew all attention. They were almost clear as the blue sky on a calm day. "Why are you in the boy's dorm, Gidget?"

Gidget stepped further in the room wringing her alabaster hands. "Lemon died."

"What's a lemon?" Benny stopped flipping through his Economics book to ask.

"It's a dog," Malachi said.

"He's a bichon." Gidget seethed. "He's not just some dog."

Malachi held up his hands, "Sorry. I didn't mean to offend." He scratched the nape of his neck. "Lemon died. That still doesn't answer my question. Why are you here?"

Gidget wrung her hands a little harder. "I was wondering if you would—"

"No." Malachi cut her off. "I already know what you're going to ask and no. Just no. I'm busy."

"Please," Gidget whined. "I can't bury him myself." She began to cry, tears falling under her glasses.

"We'll do it." Benny proclaimed standing to his feet. "We need a study break anyway."

"Thank you, strange boy." Gidget gleefully told enveloping Benny in a hug.

Benny patted her on her back then pulled her arms from around his neck, "Okay, that's enough." He rolled his eyes at Malachi, who was laughed at him.

"I owe you," Gidget said fishing in her pocket. "The body's in my trunk." She threw the keys to Benny.

"You owe us," Malachi added. He tilted his head to the said with a slight grin. "You know, I've always wanted to dig a hole."

Benny narrowed his eyes at Malachi, "And they call me a psycho." He swatted Malachi in the chest before leaving the room.