Chapter Twenty-Nine

Still, in her black dress, Isabeth trekked through Poe Woods under the moonlight's glow

      Still, in her black dress, Isabeth trekked through Poe Woods under the moonlight's glow. She clinched the flashlight in her hand as the clock ticked past eleven fifty-five. She hoped the writer of the letter wasn't a stickler for punctuality since she had another mile to go.

      Isabeth knew Poe Woods like the back of her coconut butter smooth hands. She didn't need a map to find the old church. Her feet led her there as her memory recollected her first visit to the sacred grounds. They were children in an intense game of' hide and seek'. While without the permission of their parents or supervision of an adult or nanny they crept off to the hinterland after Gavin declared himself the best seeker of all. They were seven; being the best seeker was a very high regard for them. It was Faith who found it, adamant on proving Gavin wrong. It took Gavin forty-three minutes and the help of Isabeth, Troy, Malachi, Harper, Kevin and Fiona after they relinquished their own sought after spots to find the superannuated stone constructed chapel with the rusted brass bell in the steeple and a tarnished block-wood door being eaten by layers of moss.

   They would have told someone they found a temple that was probably built by early settlers from the Mayflower but they didn't want to risk being grounded so they kept it to themselves. As years passed and they grew into teenagers their little fortress of privacy became the place they blasted music and drank beer.

   The woods cutaway placing Isabeth in a scant meadow. She clicked the flashlight off for a lantern that was already lit, chasing away the dark that would've cloaked the vicinity.

   "What are you doing here?" She asked approaching Benny. "And you." She narrowed her eyes at Faith.

   Benny pushed himself off the grassy floor, "You got a letter, too." He brushed the dead leaves off his pants.

   "When is Troy coming?" Faith asked pushing herself off the church's barely standing wall.

   "Shouldn't you know." Isabeth pushed the creaking wooden door open.

   "No." Faith swatted at a spider-web hanging near the doorway before she forged deeper into the dilapidated structure. "He's your best friend."

   Isabeth huffed as she dropped the tote bag from her shoulder and Benny took a mental note.

   "Why would Troy be coming?" Benny leaned against the rotting pew as he watched Isabeth lit the candles stacked in metal platters on the altar.

   "Cause this is right up his alley." Faith unfolded her letter and the letter she snatched out of Benny's hand earlier. "That little sick fuck." She handed the letter to Benny then cleaved her arms to her body as an eerie chill coursed through her. She didn't like coming out there at night, not anymore; not since Troy led that séance four Halloweens ago.

   Isabeth wanted to say Troy wasn't a sick fuck when you were screwing him in Peter's room but she bit her tongue as she lit the second to last candle.