Chapter Forty-Seven

Thunder and rained sounded in the night

Thunder and rained sounded in the night. Hours had passed and the music was gone. The flock of partygoers had migrated back to whatever dorm room they called home. An inebriated Gavin fell off the couch, climbed to his feet and staggered to the kitchen. He opened a greasy pizza box on the countertop and ravaged the last slice of meat lover's delight. In the corner of his eye, he picked up on a person standing by him. He looked to his side and swallowed the doughy bite.

"I thought you left," Gavin stated. "When did you come back?" He took another bite of pizza. The familiar face plunged a blade in his back. Gavin spat out his meal from the puncture to his lung. He fell forward, hitting his head on the corner of the countertop.

"I know! Kettle corn!" A voice yelled approaching. The voice startled the assailant holding the bloodstained knife. The assailant rushed out the kitchen's side entrance and stalk down the dark hallway.

Gavin lied on the floor faintly breathing, eyes closed and blood pooling around his torso. Isabeth entered. Her gleeful smile decayed. Her brain instantly calculated what to do. Seconds, Minutes, time was precious. Isabeth snatched the cordless phone from the jack and dialed 911. She shook her leg trying to calm her nerves while the line rang.

"911, what's your emergency?" The operator asked.

"There's a man with a gun. He's killing people. It's the house at the end of Willow Wood Lane. Come quick," Isabeth frantically spewed.

It was a lie she knew that but going to the extreme would reap expedient results. She ended the call and sat at Gavin's side as tears rolled from her eyes. She took his limp hand and enveloped it in hers.

Something white poked out from his pocket. She hoped it wasn't what she thought it was as she slid it from his jeans. Her throat went dry as goosebumps rose on her arms. It was what she thought it was. Another letter. A letter addressed to My Trifecta.

Isabeth pulled out a card and read it. "This is what happens when you make me wait. Well, times up. Do it now or one of you will be graduating to a jail cell." 

The envelope was still heavy. Isabeth dumped the contents into the palm of her hands. "Keys." She dropped them in her dress pocket as her heart raced like a train. She ignored the threat, squeezed Gavin's hand a little tighter and waited to hear the sound of sirens.

Is Gavin going to make it?