What I'm Most Thankful For

~November 1982~

It was finally Thanksgiving and a lot has happened since Prince and I went on our first date. We decided to cut the bullshit and started dating and our relationship was going really well. His album 1999 was doing great and I was so proud of him. I had been performing in shows and got promoted at the club. Rayne and I was able to move into a better apartment with more space and we no longer had to share a bathroom. We planned on having a dinner with some of our friends since our family couldn't make it this year. Rayne invited Micah and I invited a few of my coworkers and some of our old friends from high school that still lived in the area. I invited Prince but he had something to do and couldn't make it.

"Cass when's Mckayla and everyone else coming?" Rayne asked as she set the table.

"They won't be here until 2 but Janet's coming a bit early to help out." I replied.

As the food was cooking, I went to the bathroom and started getting ready. I showered, did my hair and makeup then went to my bedroom and put on my outfit. Prince may not have been able to make it but I still wanted to look cute.

 Prince may not have been able to make it but I still wanted to look cute

"Cass you look cute! I really like that skirt." Janet said getting up to hug me.

"Thanks so do you. How's the wedding planning going?"

"Pretty good. Evan is leaving everything to me and I want you and Rayne to plan my bridal shower." She replied.

"Well you can trust us. It's going to be amazing!" Rayne said clapping her hands.

A few minutes later more people started to arrive. There was me, Rayne, Janet, Micah, Noelle, Christian and Michelle from our old crew, plus my coworkers Reagan and her boyfriend Steve, Luna and Lyrica. The party was in full swing and the apartment was smelling pretty good. I was still sad that Prince couldn't make it but I understood. I was busy cutting up red potatoes so I could make my famous roasted potatoes with rosemary when I felt a pair of arms wrapped around my waist.

"Need any help?" Prince asked kissing my neck.

"Prince?! Babe what are you doing here?! I thought you had to work!" I asked turning around to give him a hug and a kiss.

"Well I canceled everything so I can come spend time with you and see our old friends." He replied.

Dinner went really well. I think I ate more than I should of and I'm pretty sure I had a food baby. It was nice to have our old crew back together with the exception of a few people who were missing and getting to hang out with some of my coworkers outside of work. The icing on the cake was having the love of my life there. I never would have thought that we would end up together but we did. Life seemed pretty good and it seemed like nothing could mess things up. As the last of our guests left, I decided it was time for pajamas so I washed my face and slipped on my pjs. I joined Rayne, and Prince back on the couch and talked some more.

"Well I'm off to bed. Night lovebirds." Rayne said getting up.

"Goodnight." Said Prince and I.

Prince and I cuddled on the couch and just talked and not even paying attention to the TV. I was thankful for a lot of things but what I was thankful for the most, was him. He was my rock, my lover, my everything.

"I had a really great time tonight. It was nice seeing everyone, especially you." Prince said kissing my hand.

"I agree. Hey can you sleep here tonight? I don't want to sleep alone." I asked.

"Well you're not alone. Rayne's here." Prince replied.

"But she's not you. Please stay." I begged giving him puppy dog eyes.

"Well I can't say no to that face. Sure." Prince said turning off the TV.

We walked to my bedroom and crawled into bed. That night I was thankful for one more thing: Thick bedroom walls.

Sorry this was such a short chapter! I wanted to write a special Thanksgiving chapter before my day got super crazy. Thank you so so much for the love! I really do appreciate it! XOXO, Kristan