Birthday Surprise

~June 1986~

These past few years have been a bit of a whirlwind. I haven't spoken to Prince since we broke up a few years ago, but he was everywhere so it was hard to avoid him. As for dating, I dated here and there but it didn't compare to what Prince and I had. Our relationship was special and I messed it all up. Rayne was doing better than I was. She ended up marrying a sweet guy named Sean last year and they live five minutes away from me. If only I could get my love life right. Today was Prince's birthday and I usually call him but this year it was different. It wouldn't make sense to talk to him now if we haven't seen or spoken to each other in years.

I got a phone call from Wendy and she asked me if she and Jerome could come over because they wanted to ask me something. I knew it had something to do with Prince and as much as I wanted to decline, I wanted to hear what they had to say first.

"So what brings you guys here? I know Prince has this birthday concert going on tonight. Shouldn't you guys be at rehearsal?" I asked.

"Yes but we want you at the show tonight so we can surprise Prince." Wendy replied.

"Oh no...I'm sure Prince still hates me for ruining our relationship and doesn't want to see my face. I think this is not a good idea." I said.

"Cass it's been two years. You can't avoid each other forever. Please come." Jerome begged.

"Fine. But I'm only going because it's his birthday and I want to be civil." I said.

"Awesome. Be there by 7pm and I'll have one of the bodyguards come get you when it's time to sing happy birthday." Wendy instructed.

I hugged them goodbye and then went to plan out my outfit for tonight. If I'm going to surprise Prince, I'm going to show him what he has been missing.

 If I'm going to surprise Prince, I'm going to show him what he has been missing

By 5pm I was getting nervous. I switched my outfit at least 5 times before I settled on an outfit that I actually liked. I grabbed my jacket and purse and headed out the door. I was standing close to the stage where Wendy told me to and was waiting for the concert to start. As the first song started, there he was. Prince looked so handsome and I immediately went back to the night where he and I saw each other again after I moved back home. A few minutes later I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was one of the bodyguards who instructed me to follow him backstage. I stood by where Jerome could see me but not Prince.

"So as everyone knows, tonight's a special night. We want to sing happy birthday to the man that has brought us together." Wendy said into the mic.

Jerome headed to where I was and grabbed me and led me onstage as everyone sang happy birthday. I tapped Prince on the shoulder and gave him a small smile.

"Happy birthday Skipper." I whispered in his ear before giving him a kiss on his cheek.

He turned around and gave me a smile back and a hug then I walked offstage. The rest of the concert was really amazing. Watching him perform Head made my jaw drop and have flashbacks about our bedroom sessions. After the concert, I walked out the venue and was about to start on the long drive home when I heard Jerome calling me.

"Cass where are you going?" He asked.

"Home. I'm tired." I replied.

"Well Prince wants to see you so come on."

I followed Jerome back to where everyone was and hugged everyone. When Prince and I locked eyes it was as if the world stopped.

"Hey Cass. Long time no see." Prince smiled.

"Hi Prince. You look handsome." I complimented.

We hugged each other and talked for a few minutes before I wanted to head home. Prince and I decided to meet up and talk one on one about things between us. Hopefully things aren't awkward between us.

A few days later, I called Rayne and asked her to come over so I could tell her what happened at the concert.

"So Prince was surprised to see you?" Rayne asked.

"Yeah he was. Actually he wants to meet up so we can talk and catch up." I explained.

"Well I hope it's not awkward for you two. I know you missed him."

"I missed him deeply. I really want us to get back how we were."

"Well I don't know about that but good luck." Rayne sipped her tea.

Rayne was right. We may not get back to how we once were but at least we could be civil. At this point, I don't care if we ended up back together or not. I just want my best friend back. After Rayne left I got a phone call.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey Cass." Prince said.

"Oh hi Prince what's up?" I asked.

"I just wanted to call and ask if I could come over and talk."

"Sure that's fine." I said.

"Awesome. See you in five." Prince said before hanging up.

I sat back on the couch and waited for Prince to arrive for our little sit down. A few minutes later there was a knock on the door. When I opened the door, there was Prince and it was time for me to face the music, and tell Prince the feelings that I have been holding in for years.

ONLY THREE MORE CHAPTERS LEFT! Do you guys think Prince and Cassia will get back together? Or is their relationship is over for good? Find out next week! XOXO, Kristan