~9~

"Angel away, yeah in a strange way. Maybe that's why I chase strangers away..."

Onika Maraj

The bell rings just as I finish putting on my school clothes.

I decide that from now until Friday, I need to step up my game in order to keep my spot on the team.

I gather my duffle bag and my backpack, then I head for the door.

As I open the door, Chris, Michael, August and Tremaine walk out of the locker room, laughing at something.

I have to admit, even though they're Robert's minions, they are some of nicest guys I know.

"Fat booty!" Chris greets, licking his lips.

I roll my eyes as they walk towards me,"hey Chris."

"Wassup, Nika," August and Michael greet. I nod towards them in acknowledgment.

Tremaine doesn't say anything. He's the quietest out of the four. Auggie and Michael are the bad ones, both in a gang that runs half of Santa Monica. Chris is basically just a player and he takes orders from Michael.

"Where ya headin' to?" Chris asks as I turn and walk out of the gym.

"To class," I reply, not looking back.

I open the door leading to the hallway and see the heavy flow of students trying to get to class.

I mentally put on my right clicker and merge into the crowd. (a/n am I the only one who does this?)

"So what happened to Robert?" August asks as we head up the stairs to the second level of the school.

I shrug,"don't know. Don't care."

I hear August chuckle behind me,"whatever you say, ma"

I shake my head and walk into my first class I have with them, Chemistry. I take my place beside Roman and watch as August and his friends rush to the back of the room to their group of friends.

As we wait for the teacher, Roman taps me,"I heard what happened with Robert."

I side glance her as I dig around in my backpack for my necessary supplies,"what'd you hear?"

Her eyes wander around, playfully, before she says,"oh, I don't know. That you rejected Robert and got with the new girl!"

"What?!" I whisper-yell,"that's a lie."

"Oh, really?" Roman quirks, raising an eyebrow,"that's not what Robert's telling everyo-"

"Ms. Maraj?" The teacher asks.

"Yes?" Roman and I answer.

"Either one is good," Mrs. Fleming says.

I glance at Roman and she waves her hand,"go see what she want."

I chuckle and walk to her desk. As I do, I hear whispers float around me, but I ignore them.

"Yes?" I ask, standing in front of the teachers desk.

She hands me a note,"can you go to the girls locker room and get these items out of the supply closet.

I glance at the note,"sure."

"Great!" She chirps,"please hurry back so you can take your notes for the lab we're about to do."

~ Robyn Fenty ~