Evading Fate

'He isn't walking towards you. Why would he? You're a nobody. Even if he does think you're royalty you wouldn't catch his eye. Though maybe he can tell that you are his mate? He probably still wouldn't care if he knew that you weren't a high class snob' Natasha told herself. she couldn't help but notice that he was still making his way towards her as she made her way down the stairs. She reached the last step and he was advancing quite fast. She noticed that he was barely paying attention to anyone else around him. Just her. He was only feet away when a woman interceded his path. It was a voluptuous blonde. She seemed to be late teens to early twenties and quite beautiful. for the first time the princes' eyes were off of her. She sighed in relief as the woman grabbed his hand and practically dragged him to the floor. She noticed him glance back at her. She saw something in his eyes that she had never seen before. Was it longing? She must be over thinking things. She quickly turned and disappeared in the crowd. Her wolf was growling at her to go and take her man away from the blondes wretched grasp. Her wolf wanted to come out and tear the obvious hair extensions out of her head before ending her life Natasha was in control though and continued to quickly walk away. She had to marry someone who was rich, but she would not marry the Prince or her mate. That was one sure way to get caught. He would surely want to know who her family was and he had enough power to actually figure it out if he really wanted to. Well, it's not like he'd ever want to marry her anyways. There were one too many pretty and rich girls out there to be worrying about a girl who looked like herself. She wasn't much to look at.

"Princess Natasha is it? What a beautiful name for such a beautiful woman such as yourself" a man who seemed to appear out of no where said as he took her hand in his and kissed the top of it. He was an older man. He seemed to be about fifty she was guessing. Natasha was only nineteen. She slowly and as politely as she could, extracted her hand from his.

"Yes. That's me. Who are you" she asked him. She hoped that she sounded like all the other royals. They always talked so uppity like they are better than everyone else and deserve words that the lower class doesn't. Like calling everyone darling or saying piche poche. They sounded pretty stupid to her, but maybe that's how society is.

"I'm Charles Sanders. Duke of Warrington." He smiled at her. She could tell he took pride in his title and expected her to have some sort of wonderful reaction. She tried her best to put on a face of admiration and surprise.

"Well, it's not every day that I meet a Duke" she told him. She could tell that he was pleased by her reaction. She could feel herself relax just slightly that her lie had worked. She knew she'd have a lot more lies to tell by the end of the night.

"Would you give me the honor of having the rest of this dance" he asked her. She suddenly felt panicked. Her mother had told her that she wouldn't have to dance. Just look pretty. Natasha couldn't dance to save her life. She had tried many times, but always looked terrible and almost every time tripped over some object or herself and fall on her face.

"I actually just want to get my bearings. It's such a beautiful place. I'd like to sit for a bit with a beverage and rest a bit. The ride here was pretty long" Natasha made up the excuse as it came into her head. It sounded pretty terrible to her own ears, but he took it. He bowed gracefully.

"Maybe I'll receive a dance later then" he asked, raising an eyebrow as he stood back up straight. Natasha nodded and smiled. She politely excused herself. She walked to a table off in a corner. She didn't want to be noticed by anyone for a while. All of the lying was getting to her. She never liked to lie in the first place, but now she needed to. Her feet were already hurting a little bit from the wretched heels that her mother had thrown at her to wear. She grabbed a glass of what looked like some sort of champagne. She took a sip and let her eyes move across the room. The music had changed to another song and the beat of the song was more up beat. People swirled around the ball room. A shimmer caught her eye from across the room.

She glanced up to see the prince on the stand where there were two thrones sitting. He was above the crowd and looking around the room. Her eyes widened. He couldn't possibly be looking for her! She could sense him and she was sure that he could probably sense her too.His eyes fell on her and his face held a look of determination as he made his way down the stage and towards her. She knew he was in fact looking for her. What she didn't know was why. Yes, she was his mate, but she was a nobody. Though he didn't know that yet. She got up in a hurry and walked out as fast as she could without drawing much attention to herself. She glanced back once more to see the Prince's eyes on her as she walked out of the door and it closed behind her. She took a deep breath. She quickly walked down the hall. There had to be some place as to where she could hide until this all was over.

She had just turned the corer when she felt someone grab her arm and turn her around. She gasped in surprised and her eyes widened when she moved her gaze from the chest of the person in front of her to his face. It was the Prince and he was not happy.