Chapter 20 Edited

"It all started yesterday when I took you to your room then left you. I came back here, showered then changed clothes. I had one of the maids get me a drink and ended up drinking to much and cut myself on the wrist multiple times until I passed out", he explained.

I looked at his wrist again trying to follow the very faint scars on his wrist. But what was the actual reason he cut?

"The real reason is I can't break my engagement to Kara. It's not even my choice to marry her. I'm only doing it to make peace with her kingdom because every year something happens with her either trying to commit suicide or running away and her parents believe it's because she needs a husband. She told me she's wanted to be with me for years but I  decined. So she took it out on herself because she always thought she wasn't good enough for me. I'm also the only vampire prince she wants to marry. Kara always gets what she wants. So I'm being forced to marry a woman I don't love", he explained.

I heard something ring then Lucas pulled his phone from under his pillow. He put the phone up to his ear and began talking but sounded frustrated. Within minutes his phone was across the room shattered into pieces. He laid back down covering his eyes causing his face to seem darker. He sighed and continued.

"My parents are throwing a ball tomorrow night to celebrate our engagement. But what's their to celebrate? The fact that she's happy to marry me any day and I'm not happy? Whoop de do congrats Kara", he said letting out a long breathe.

Oh wow Lucas taking air when you don't need to breathe. Air hogger. He turned to look at me and gave me a small smile.

"Promise you won't utter a word to my parents especially my father?", he asked.

I simply nodded and turned to leave and he didn't stop me. I walked out the room feeling sorry for the prince. No one should be forced into a marriage. One of the maids came running down the hall and she looked like she was about to have a panic attack.

"You. Come with me we have lots to do", she said grabbing my wrist, dragging me down the hall.

"What's going on?", I asked.

"The King just announced there's going to be a ball tomorrow evening and we need all the help we can get to make the ballroom spotless", she replied.

In a matter of minutes we were in a room full of workers. Some were either scrubbing the floor, dusting the chandelier, setting up the table for food or making sure the thrones were in tip top shape. I don't know why I'm needed. She went over to a table and picked up a clipboard then handed it to me.

"I need you to make sure everything on this list is done. Also since you're the prince's slave it's your job to make sure his suit is ready and deliver it to him before the ball. Now go we don't have much time", she said shooing me off.

I went around the room making sure everything was ready and then went in the kitchen and checked on the food. I even got to taste some of it considering there will be some humans there going with their masters. And the worst part of all is I'm not even done...

After a long day of walking around the castle (and getting lost) everything was ready and I was ready to hit the hay. It was almost 9:30 which is early for me but I didn't care. I was beat. Once I got to my room, I closed the door and kicked off my shoes. I showered and changed clothes and when I went to get in bed I found a black garment bag with a note attached.

'This is a thank you gift for listening to me earlier today.

-L'

My heart was racing as I revealed the dress. It was pretty yet elegant and simple and I loved it.

The fact that he gets me these things is ridiculous

The fact that he gets me these things is ridiculous. At the end of the day according to the law, I'm a slave that doesn't deserve these fancy things. But I'm Lucas's slave. He can treat me however he wants. And they way he's treating me right now, I secretly love it but I'm not going to let it show...