𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

CHAPTER SEVEN | MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

THE NEWS THAT STEFAN SALVATORE AND ELENA GILBERT HAD BROKEN UP TRAVELED FAST. Caroline was the first person to inform Evelyn of the couple's untimely demise since the two had become fast friends. Evelyn understood it from Stefan's point-of-view, who would want to be in a relationship with someone who clearly has feelings for someone else.

"I don't know," Caroline spoke as she flicked through Evelyn's closet. She was helping the vampire prepare for the Miss Mystic pageant, though Evelyn was keen on missing the event altogether. "What does this even mean for you and Damon? Isn't your sole reason for coming back, him?"

"Well, it's not my sole reason." Evelyn awkwardly answered as she scratched the back of her neck. "He played a big part in the reasoning, but no. I just missed my home town. I mean, I grew up here."

"Well, I think you and Damon are a much better fit, anyway." Caroline scrunched her nose at the thought of Damon and Elena being together when Evelyn was the much better fit. She then turned around and held out a red dress. "What about this?"

"Too dressy." The Austin girl shook her head, almost noticing the growl that left Caroline's lips. "Besides, I think Damon and I are just friends. Apart fro—"

The blonde vampire swung round quicker than anything Evelyn had seen. "—Apart from what?"

"Last night he might've tried to kiss me?"

"What?!"

"But, I didn't kiss him." Evelyn shook her head while a huff of annoyance left the girl's lips and she turned back around to the dresses. "I just— While he's in this weird limbo in his head about who he wants and how he feels, I don't want to put myself in a potential place to get hurt, you know?"

"I know, but if you don't tell him how you feel how is he ever going to know?" Caroline asked with a sympathetic look on her face. She then pulled out a short, black-laced dress. "This?"

Evelyn nodded in approval. "Oh. That's gorgeous."

"Wear that today and I'm sure Damon will think so, too." Caroline wriggled her eyebrows as soon as Evelyn's cellphone started ringing from the nightstand. Her eyes cast over to the phone to see it was Damon calling. "Damon is calling."

"Shut up, Caroline." Evelyn rolled her eyes before she reached over and grabbed the phone. "If you're calling because you have a problem, I'm busy."

"Can't I call my best friend and have a casual chat?" Damon asked suggestively, while Evelyn's eyes darted to Caroline. The blonde appeared to be mouthing something, though Evelyn sucked at lip-reading.

"I—uh." Evelyn removed the phone from her ear and muted it. "Caroline, I don't know what you're saying!" She yelled in a hushed tone.

"Ask him to be your date!" She rolled her eyes.