𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

CHAPTER FOURTEEN | LET HER GO

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

EVELYN KNEW THAT CAROLINE FORBES OFTEN NEEDED A TASK TO KEEP HER DISTRACTED, BUT SHE WAS CONCERNED. Liz had passed just over twenty-four hours ago, and already Caroline was intent on planning the funeral and giving her mother the perfect send-off. Evelyn would do whatever Caroline asked of her, given she was her best friend, but she couldn't help but be concerned.

"You've all asked what you can do to help. There are five days worth of projects on here. We are going to do them in one. We can break the rules and cut through the red tape. I expect my Mom to be properly celebrated and buried by the end of the day." Caroline nodded to the rest of her friends, who had all gathered in the parlor to discuss the plans for Liz's funeral.

"Sure, Care." Matt Donovan gave Caroline a sure smile. He admired Liz and cared about her just as much as he did Caroline. "Whatever you need."

Caroline appreciatively smiled toward Matt, then let her eyes fall onto the doppelganger. "Elena, Evelyn. You're both coming with me."

"Where are we going?" Elena tilted her head with a supportive smile on her face.

"Casket shopping."

"Oh. That's—" Evelyn was completely thrown off balance by Caroline's straight-faced response, but she shrugged it off. "Okay. Let's do it." As the Austin and Gilbert girl both got up to their feet to grab their jackets, they exchanged worried looks about Caroline's mental state.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

After she had spent the entire day with Caroline and Elena, putting the finishing touches to the seemingly perfect send-off that Elizabeth Forbes deserved, Evelyn and Elena headed back home to get ready for the ceremony.

Evelyn wandered from the bathroom into their bedroom, where Damon was stood fixing his tie in the mirror. "Damon, does this look okay? I literally cannot find anything that looks good enough for a funeral. Honestly, I think I'm projecting and—" The sound of Evelyn's voice immediately attracted his attention, and the moment he turned to face her, he was truly mesmerized just by her presence. "Oh, that good, huh?"

"More than." Damon nodded as he held his hand out to grab hers. He gently pulled her closer and let his hand fall at her waist. "You look beautiful, baby." He beamed.

"Well, I see the eulogy is coming along swimmingly," Stefan commented from the doorway as the couple looked over their shoulders at him.

Damon let a small grumble escape his lips at the mention of the eulogy that Liz had asked Damon to write just moments before she slipped into her coma. "It's percolating."

Stefan rolled his eyes then finally entered the room with his hands in his pockets. "Listen, I need your advice, both of you." Stefan turned to his brother. "And I need you to not be a dick about it because I have no one else to ask."