𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

CHAPTER NINE | THE CELL

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

THE FEELING OF THE DAMP, COLD CONCRETE FLOOR BELOW HER WAS THE FIRST THING TO WAKE EVELYN FROM HER SLUMBER. Her eyes fluttered open and all she saw was somewhere completely unrecognizable, and fear flooded through her when she thought of Damon. She rolled over on herself and attempted to peak through a gap between the large wall that she hoped connected her cell with Damon's.

"You're up." A sigh of relief escaped Damon's lips once he heard movement in the cell beside him. "Thank God, you're okay. I thought you were—"

"No, I'm okay. I was more worried about you. You looked— Damon, you looked terrified back there in the lab." Evelyn breathed out, though her eyes continued to glance around the unfamiliar location that she appeared to be.

"Me?" He scoffed in disbelief, though Evelyn knew it was all a front. "Nope. Just curious, you know how I like to—"

"Damon, where the hell are we?" Evelyn immediately cut him off weakly as she used the bars against the cell to help her sit upright. She was severely weakened due to the mass amount of vervain Wes had been pumping into her system.

"Hasn't your boyfriend explains what we do, yet?" The familiar voice of Wes Maxfield boomed as he strolled into the dark cellar. He glanced between his two captive vampires with a chuckle. "Go on, Damon. Tell her."

A loud sigh escaped Damon's lips and Evelyn swore she could hear his heart beating faster— he was scared. "He and his freakshow friends get their kicks out of tormenting and torturing vampires all in the name of science, Eve. Eye examines, that sort of thing."

"Jesse—" Evelyn trailed off with widened eyes. "Jesse was one of your experiments?"

"Jesse was proof my research goes far beyond that. I trained him to crave vampire blood, instead of human blood." Wes mused with a proud smile. "Now, I'm ready to take my research to the next level."

Damon's eyes widened fearfully as he watched Wes pull another vervain syringe from his pocket as he started toward Evelyn's cell. "No. No, you leave her alone. Do you hear me? Wes, if you touch one hair on her head, I promise you that I will kill you."

"The threat just isn't all that threatening from inside your cell, Mr. Salvatore." Wes chuckled to himself as he kicked Evelyn's cell open and wandered inside with a darkened look on his face.

"Get the hell away from me." Evelyn shuffled backward until there was nowhere left for her to go. She was backed up against the wall and Wes used that as an opportunity to jab the syringe into her arm. "Damon—"

"Sleep now. You have a big day ahead of you, Miss Austin." The Professor chuckled as Evelyn's eyes fluttered shut once more and she dropped to the ground of her cell.