Chapter 23: Reincarnation

"I-I thought you were dead..." Natsu stuttered.

"That was a mere illusion." The man replied.

"Natsu, who is this?" Erza asked.

"My dead brother," Natsu answered, "Zeref."

"So cold, Natsu." Zeref snickered. "Just to let you know, I'm no longer your brother, Natsu. Now, it would be nice to stay and chat a little bit longer, but-" Zeref disappeared and appeared behind me. In a blink of an eye, I was outside, not behind Natsu but in the hands of Zeref. "-I have some business with this girl." My vision blacked out, and my last thought before I went unconscious was, will I ever see Natsu again?

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Warm. Soft. Comfortable.

Wait, comfortable? Soft? Warm!? I opened my eyes and spotted a large window on a white wall and a bookcase leaning on the wall next to the window. I rubbed my sleepy eyes, and sat up. I looked around and soothed the bed I was sleeping on.

Why does this feel familiar...and this room. Why does it look like I've seen this room before?

"You're finally awake." I looked at the door and saw Zeref leaning on the the door's frame.

"Where are we!?" I asked.

"You don't recognize your own house? The house your parents were killed in?" He replied.

"N-No I don't. That was a long time ago." I looked away from Zeref. "D-Don't try to make me remember what I already f-forgot.."

"So are you saying you forgot about your parents?" He asked.

"...no..." I silently replied.

[Flashback]

"Mommy? Where are we going?" I held mommy's hand as we ran in the hallway.

We then entered my room.

Mommy knelt down and looked at me. "Sweetie, there's a secret passage behind the bookcase." Mommy pointed at the bookcase next to the window. "Pull out our favorite book and it will open. Then, escape and run."

"You'll be coming with me too, right?" I smiled.

"...y-yes." She replied.

"Ok mommy!" I walked over to the bookcase. I pulled out the book, Fair Tales. The bookcase moved to the left and a secret passage led to the outside. "Ok, I'll see you-" In a short time, I felt wet, warm, red liquid fall off my face, onto my body. "M-mo-mommy..." Tears streamed down my face. I looked at mommy's body and her head flew out the window. "Mom-mommy!!" I shouted. "Mommy!!"

"Honey!" Daddy appeared in my room. "You! Get away from my daughter!"

Slash.

"Da-" I fell onto the floor and cried, forgetting about the person who killed my parents. "Mommy...Daddy.."

[End of Flashback]

I widened my eyes and glared at Zeref, "You! You were the one who killed my parents!" I teleported in front of Zeref and chocked him.

"...y-yeah...keep on...going Lucy...feels horrible...when you lose someone...special in front...o-of you...huh..." Zeref snickered. I glared at him and let go of his neck.

"Shut up! How would you know how I feel!?"

"Because I also lost someone special."

I widened my eyes and turned to look at him, "Y-You're the one-"

"Yes, I'm the lover of Mavis."

"Z-Zeref...Dragneel."

"You're really slow, Lucy." He chuckled lightly.

"Shut up. I know I am." I looked away.

"Are you going to ask me what happened between Natsu and I?"

"Oh that's right! What happened!?" I looked at him.

He chuckled once again, "It was a long time ago."

"How long?"

"400 years."

"400!?"

"Mhm, 400 years ago, we were attacked by dragons. Real dragons, not the pity human forms."

"Ey! Watch your language mister!" I shouted.

But Zeref ignored my comment, and continued, "Our house caught on fire, and our parents were killed in it. I escaped and left Natsu. I made an illusion of me burning in flames, so he would think I died and wouldn't try to find me. I went exploring, and that's how I met Mavis."

"Lucy." I raised an eyebrow. "You've been getting dreams, right?"

"And if I was, what does it have to do with you?"

"Lucy, you still haven't notice?" He asked.

"Notice what?"

"That you are..." He stared at me intensely, like he was looking into my soul. "The reincarnation of my beloved Mavis."

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

(A/N: Woopy-Doo! I'm excited to see what's coming up for Lucy and her future heroes!)