You Can Always Trust Me

~Mare~

It's foggy tonight, the air is thick and frosty. A cool breeze tickles my face, I brush away emerging tears welling up in my eyes. Now you've learned your lesson. He betrayed me, lied to me and used me. I was a pawn in his game.
It's been a month since I've seen him last and every night since then I come outside to think of what used to be. I think of the first time he kissed me on the dock, so desperate yet so sweet. How he promised to protect me and never to lose me. It was a lie and we both knew it.

I know better than to want him, he's a monster, a murderer of the innocent. I never wanted to - but I loved him, he's more than a shadow, more than Cal's little brother. He was complex, he had layers to him.

Don't be his fool Mare

Don't love a ghost. He was never real, you're wishing for someone who never existed. Prince Maven is gone. I think that's what hurts the most, is knowing that my Maven was a lie. Loving a figment of my imagination is damning. He never loved you, he used you like a toy. Played you like a harp, why hold onto the myth that is Maven Calore?

"Mare" Cal calls to me.

He drapes a wool blanket over my frail shoulders. "It's been a month, Cal" I murmur. He rubs my back, bringing me closer to him.

"I know it's wrong. It was never real and I should hate him but I can't- I don't" I whimper.

How rude of me. Cal was hurt just as bad if not more by Maven than I was. How dare I sit here pitying myself when it didn't affect just me.

"I'm sorry, I brought this on you. I brought you into my world, now look where it's got you" he apologizes.

I grab his forearm, holding on so tight his pale skin starts to bruise.

"He told me to trust him. I believed every word, if it weren't for me you'd still have your father and your kingdom".

All you're good for is causing pain. I'm a lightning rod for this kind of crap.

"He told me you were wrong, that you didn't believe in equality for the Reds. He painted you as the villain, I didn't question it because I wanted to believe him. I needed to hate you because of everything that was taken away, I made you my punching bag and I helped bring you down".

Cal caresses my chin, lifting it up gently. I look into his warm amber eyes, flecks of gold dance around in the moonlight.

"At least you're not alone now".

He leans in, close enough that I can smell him. "Maven may not have been what you thought he was, but neither am I. I'm here Mare, I care about you."

I give him a weak smile.

"Choose me, Mare."