Come Back To Me

~Maven~

                                                                         Mareena Titanos

My betrothed, my wife to be.

   I open the door revealing an empty room. Her presence lingers here, haunting me. I'm beginning to miss her too much; it's getting difficult to concentrate on my responsibilities when images of her cloud my mind.
    It's hitting me like a bolt of lightning. I need to win her back. I'll find her; I can show her that I'm still here. I haven't changed. But where is she? How will I find her?

The tracking device

    I had a tracking system implanted into Cal so that I could locate him anywhere in the world. Wherever Cal is, Mare likely is too. 

A maid passing by the room catches my attention. She's a tiny little thing, struggling to push the breakfast cart.

"You, "   I startled her.

She reminds me of a deer. Easily startled, wide-eyed and nervous.

"Your Highness?"

"Are you Walsh? A member of the guard?"I ask.

She gulps loudly. Strands of hair fall into her eyes.

"There will be no consequences, I promise". I give her an encouraging smile.

"Yes your majesty".

     I grab her arm, a little harder than I should have, pulling her down the hall. I dragged her into a secret room hidden behind a painting on the wall. "Tell me, Walsh, where is the Scarlet Guard's hideout?". She bites her tongue, forcing herself not to look at me.

I'm getting impatient. The more impatient I get the more violence I'll resort to.

"Walsh if you don't answer me I'll have to be forced to use extreme measures" I threaten.

I did say no consequences, but what can I do. I lie as easily as I breathe.

"Last I heard they were heading for Naercey" she blurts.

The city of wreckage, a city of ash.

I pat the top of her head, she flinches against my touch.

"Congratulations Anne, you've bought yourself another day".

Thanks to my new found information I know what to do. I'm going to Naercey, I'll find Mare, and I'll make things right between us. She'll love me. Not him. "I'm coming for you Mare" I smile hopefully.

"Is that so?"

Mother has been eavesdropping. Picking around inside my head like she did Cal's. I need to be smarter about this, she can't know my feelings or my plans.

"Well yes, I need to make an example of my traitors, mother" I replied.

She floats into the room, her navy blue gown hovering above the floor.

Her face is unreadable, I feel her digging into my brain. Looking for answers to her unasked questions.

"This all you wish to see her for is punishment?" She questions.

I hate that she doesn't allow me to be my own person. Mother loves me, I know this, but she won't let me lead. She refused to give me room to make my own decisions, I may be the king but I'm her puppet. I do whatever she wants me to because she holds my strings.

"Yes".

She quirks her brow, suspicion crept through her. Believe me mother, what reason do I have to lie?

" And what about your brother, will you be seeking his presence as well?".

My jaw clenches, a vein throbs along my forehead. Cal, Cal, Cal. The mere mention of him infuriated me to no end. My plans for my dear old brother do not include pleasantries.

"I'll deal with the fallen prince later, for now, I need to focus on finding Mare", I waved my hand dismissively.

Mother cups my cheek, a glimpse of affection.

"Promise me that you'll make her suffer, do not go easy on her" she instructs.

"No mercy".

She smiles at me, at least a half smile.

"You make me proud, my boy", she coos, "don't let me down".

Boy... she knows I hate being called boy

"You won't be disappointed", a lie, "I'll bring down the lightning girl".