I'd kill for you

~Mare~

      He's done it this time. He's obliterated the handle you fly off when you're upset. He's beyond the Maven that I knew. He killed she-devil, he killed his mother, the woman who gave him life. And now I sit here, my back against the wall, heart beating a thousand miles a second and staring up at him at my fiancé who is holding Elara, Queen Elara's body.
Maven drops her, her head now tilts to one side, a spectacular deep silver line along her succulent neck. Her beautiful eyes, blue as sapphires, where fading. Pale skin turns a sickly gray. I watch in horror. Waiting for her to leap off the floor, to come flying at me like I knew she wanted to.

What have you done

"Mare" Maven's voice fills my ears, but I can't make out the words.

    He steps towards me, cautious not to startle me. Before I can register, he's already got his arms around me. Wrapping me into his clutches, he's trying to comfort me the best way he can. I know he's trying to console me, but right now all I can feel is fear.
"You killed your mother," I peer up at him through blurred eyes. His hands hold my face, "to protect you." What are you so upset about? You hated her. It's true I do, I did. She was a horrible woman, and I won't miss her for a second, it's just that I witnessed her death. She died at the hands of her only son.
I had reasons to be afraid of Elara. Now I have even more reasons for Maven. He's cold; he's Calais, he is the very reason I had to flee in the first place. You can't stay here Mare.

"I'm sorry, I - I can't". With that, I shoot backward. Back slamming into the door so hard that I've thrown myself through it. Falling all over the place, getting back up and continuing through the lingering pain I try to escape. He's dangerous, he's alluring, and I fell for him.
" Mare! "he yells. I wipe away my tears, trying to ignore him. I'm too weak; he's too fast for me to get away. Maven's fingertips brush my arm, causing me to react. Lightning shoots from my hand, cooling around him. He crashes to the floor, screaming with every agonizing serge.
I had to stop running long enough to see if he's okay. Why do you care? Because no matter how much he's hurt me lies to me or uses me I've never stopped wanting him. The worst part is, I know it's wrong, I know he's a monster and he's done so many awful things in spite of all that my feelings have yet to change.

"Maven?".

He's removed himself from the floor; now he's behind me.

"No" I cry out, kicking and screaming frantically.

I swung my hand, readying myself to slap him but he's too quick. He catches my wrist. I claw at him to keep him away but it was not working, he tightened his hold on me. Forcing me into his vice-like grip, he rested his chin against the top of my head. I continued to scream and cry, thrashing around uncontrollably but his hold never loosened.

"Mare you're hurt," he strokes my hair, "she hurt you. She was going to kill you" he speaks just above a whisper.

You hurt me just as bad

"When you left me, I told myself that I'd never let anything or anyone hurt you," he raises my chin to meet his gaze, "including me."

"She loved you" I breathe.

"Not as much as she loved her power. I was her son; she loved me the best that she knew how but that was never going to be enough".

I shut my eyes. I am wrapping shaky arms around Maven's torso.

"Didn't you love her Maven?".

His lips caress my forehead.

"Of course I loved her, she was all I had. But then I met you; I got to know you, we fell in love and then I lost you".

You never truly had me

"You mean so much to me Mare, I'd do anything for you," he looks deeper into my eyes, " and I do mean anything".

" I love you, my little Red queen" he whispers.

I love you, even when I shouldn't. I love you, Maven.