Wrath of a Queen

~Mare~

    She's healing me the best she can. Alora is busy at work trying to save me. I guess her ability isn't mystical like everyone else's seeing how she's relying heavily on chance. I'm worried about my life, I'm worried that I've made a terrible mistake coming back here. For all I know Maven did this on purpose, he lured me. I once again let my heart lead me down a dark path, only this time no one is coming to save me.

"She got you good", Alora poked through my open wound, "a clean hit, straight through".

Fascinating as it may be we are limited on time. She got me, she pierced my lung. I'm bleeding like a stuck pig and I can barely breathe it.

      Alora begins to numb me, apply general anesthesia. It takes me seconds to fall limp, thanks God because the pain was getting unbearable. "Goodnight Mare", I hear her voice.
I'm unconscious now but I'm alert enough to feel everything. Every clamp, every needle, everything but the cold air. She does her best to be gentle with me but she can't afford to be because we're low on time. She puts her hands around my damaged lung, cradling it gingerly between her palms. She chants, barely above a whisper but loud enough to hear. She rubs my lung, chanting louder and louder.
     My body feels like ice. Suddenly I'm completely frozen. What is she doing to me? It burns, it feels like a thousand knives stabbing me at every angle. I'm under the anesthesia but I swear I heard myself scream. Alora rips out my left lung abruptly, I felt myself jerk violently. She's hurting me.
She chants again, this time she yells so loud the room starts vibrating. " Curare", she yells, "curare". A new lung grows in place of the old. She begins to sow my skin back together, suturing effortlessly at a rapid pace. Once she finished she rubs some kind of slave over the newly formed skin before covering my line of stitches with a large bandage on both sides of my body.
She leaves me briefly to remove her blood stained gloves and to wash herself up. When she returns she cleans me up before having some of Maven's guards wheel to a secluded room on the second floor of the palace. They're gentle with me, they tuck me into bed, wrapping me in thick blankets. They even prop up my pillow to support my neck.
I'm swallowed up in my cocoon of blankets, my body sinks into the mattress allowing it to form to my body shape. Bits of sunlight welcome me, sunshine dancing around the room, even framing my face. The light touches my eyelids. It's soothing to be woken peacefully.

If isn't Mareena, or should I say ...Little Lightning Girl

"No" I breath.

You've taken your last breath, you have ruined my son for the last time. If he won't sever his feelings of you I will

"Elar-"

Elara hurls herself through the door, ripping it off its hinges. She digs her way through my brain, splitting my skull upon impact. She forces me out of bed, throwing me against the wall, she doesn't even have to lift a finger.
She clamps her hands around my neck, thumb pressed directly on my jugular. Perfectly manicured nails find their way to my skin. I yelp like a kicked dog, she laughs in return. She grips the back of my neck, ramming it into the wall, I'm starting to see black dots.

Crack

"Ah, what's the matter?", Elara twirls my hair as she stares down at me, "poor little lightning girl is too weak to fight back?" She taunts.

Elara throws me into the wall on the other side of the room. "Wh- why" I whimper. She hoisted me, dangling me. An invisible hand choked me, roughly pressing down on my airway. My eyes increased in size, my heart felt as though it may leap out of my newly repaired chest.
My bran new lungs are being destroyed. This is it, she's always hated me. I'm an insect on the sidewalk, I'm a pestering fly, I'm a menace that needs to be handled. With ease she squashes me, clearly enjoying the pain she's causing.
"This will hurt your son", I crooked, "he'll never forgive you". She stops, her wicked smile leaves her face. "You don't know that you don't know Maven as well as you think you do" she argues. She growls through gritted teeth, hissing like a snake.
"I don't? Look at me Elara! Your son, the freaking king of Norta is lying to your face, he continues to lie for me, kill for me and hurt for me". Not that I condone his bad behavior
I do my best to hide the obvious pain, both in my voice and my expression. "Do you know why Maven does all those things? It's because he loves me". Never have I seen someone react so fast, she gets right up in my face so that she's inches away. I'm forced to stare into her cold blue eyes.

"Loving you will be his undoing".

I can't help but smirk.

"Maven is naive, a simple-minded child. I can not allow him to harbor such feelings. Especially for a filthy little Red whore", she states matter of factly.

I draw back before blasting her in the face , she falls back but still stands. "Don't you dare call me that", I scream, " I maintain my innocence". Again she laughs.

"Say goodnight lightning girl".

She marches towards me, her eyes turning black with rage.

I squeezed my eyes shut, waiting for the end to come.

Dear Barrow family,

Please forgive me. Forgive me for hurting, for lying and stealing. Forgive me for not being what you wanted, what you deserved. Forgive me

"Goodnight".

My eyes shoot open, that wasn't my voice that spoke. Another has come into the room. Maven. He jammed something that resembles a dagger into the spine of his mother. She falls back into him, fearfully grabbing at his cold hands. "Maven?", she cries, "but why- how could you?".
He places one of his hands on her head and his other around her neck. 

Snap