Enemies

~Mare~

     We're arriving at the palace, the familiar feeling of a thousand eyes burns into my skin. I think back , remembering my time here as Mareena.  The daughter of the beloved Ethan Titanos , a misplaced Silver born child.
      I remember my fairytale fantasy Elara fed to me. She forced me to remain here, to openly lie to these people. Pretending to be someone else, someone I'll never be.
      A lost daughter raised by the filthy Reds, rescued by the crown prince, brought and displayed before the Silver High Houses. Forced to be their fool, their inside joke. I was their slave, I was blackmailed into being Mareena. My life and the lives of those I hold close would be in danger should I fail.

My heart twists inside my chest. I feel the rush of emotions taking over me.

"Mare?", Maven graces my arm.

I flinch away, letting my back hit the wall.

"This place brings back memories", my voice shakes, "memories of the bombing, the slaughtered and..." I tear up, "memories of the betrayal".

Maven's eyes glaze over, a thin layer of shine covering them.

"This is real Mare", he reaches for me, "I am in this one hundred percent, I promise you I will not hurt you".

Why don't I believe you?

I slap his hand away.

"I think I've made a mistake. I can't be here, I can't wait around for something bad to happen, I have to go", I run away.

That's right Mare, flee. Flee like the pathetic coward you are

      Tears blur my eyes, my heartbeat thunders in my ears. I'm scared to death if this place, completely terrified. 
      Maven takes off after me, he's fast but not quick enough to catch me. He yells for me, calling out my name. I ignore him, blocking the sound of his voice out of my head.
     There's a moment when this all doesn't seem real. It feels like a dream or a hallucination. I'm not really here right now, Maven hasn't proclaimed his love for me. I'm with Cal. I'm with the guard, I'm with the Reds.

With Cal

  Something shoots through the air at a blinding pace. Black, thick, sharpened to a point. Metal shoots through my body, taking bits of my flesh with it.
   I collapsed, falling onto my face. There's a hole in my chest. A hole where my left lung was. Satin blood, red as silk, pours from my body. Painting the marble floor with my insides.

"MARE!" Maven screams, nearly rattling the walls.

    I dip my hand in my blood, feeling the warmth, the Red.  "Red as the dawn" I mutter. My eyes are swarming with black dots, my breaths are short and uneven. Everything hurts. I'm dying, just as I knew I would.

I'm dying

"Long time no see, little lightning girl" Evangeline smirks down at me.

"I hear you have stolen yet another one of my princes. Just what am I going to do with you peasant" she spits.

This bitch...