Physical Love

~Mare~

Maven and I parted ways for a bit , I needed to be alone . All this talk about whether or not we'll get married is giving me a headache.

He's the one that made me possibly consider having a family . He made me believe his lies , his tall tales. How can you be so stupid Mare you really should have known better.

I can't worry about the past , it hurts too much .

Now wandering around the palace I'm trying to enjoy my alone time when I hear a noise . "Hello?", someone cries out, "is anybody there?". That sounds like - but it can't be, "Cal is that you?" I answer.

"Mare!" I hear his voice, "come to me , I need to see you".

My heart flutters with joy , I felt myself smiling for the first time in forever. I ran down the hallway, down the stairs into the dark room.

There he stands the traitor prince , all chained up and covered in battle scars. My skin tingles with excitement at the sight of him , I through myself at him only to quickly be stopped in my tracks . "Oh my " I covered my mouth, "what happened to you?"

"Have you ever heard of silent stone?".

I've dreamt of it but never felt it.

"This", he raised his chained wrist," is has been given a special spell , its laced with toxins that will not only take away your power but drain you as well" he explains.

"There's something more dangerous than being silenced?" I gasped.

"It takes you ability, your strength even your blood" he points to the buckets in the corner .

You promised you wouldn't hurt him

"But...why?".

Cal smiles , how dare he smirk at me with those perfect teeth and those sparkling eyes.

"My brother has banished me . He's letting me go. But , he wants to drain me first so I'll be too weak to fight back or be able to come looking for you".

I closed my eyes wanting to block out the forming imagery of Maven's stupid face .

"He wants you all to himself Mare, he knows as long as I'm alive I'm always going to be in the way".

He's a monster. He's a lier and a damn good one at that

I touched the chains , a piece of my heart ripped out of my chest the pain was excruciating to say the least.

How could he do this?

"You attacked him didn't you, that's why his nose was broken and his clothes were burned isn't it?".

He nods.

My eyes widened, "you came for me" , I fell to my knees.

He knelt down with me. "I had to . I love you Mare . I couldn't let him hurt you, I know he likes to say he hasn't changed, that he's done all of this for you but he doesn't mean it . He's a lier , don't believe anything he says".

He had to have meant some of this. He did kill Elara for me, that has mean something doesn't it?

"He wants me to marry him" .

Cal grabs ahold of my trembling hands . He looks into my eyes, I see my reflection in his. Being here with him , the hidden prince underneath the peasant clothing , the servant with the silver coins makes me quiver at the impossible thoughts racing through my mind.
We loved each other even when we weren't supposed to . He kissed me , I let him . Not a day goes by that I don't wonder what could have been. What we could have been. I wanted him , I longed for him . Many nights I've felt hot for him , I can't stand that I can never have him.

"Choose me" he says .

Now I have stared to weep . Not heavy tears but long leaky tears of pent up sadness and frustration.

"I can't" I wail.

He caresses my face , his hand is unimaginably soft . I closed my eyes , taking in his warmth.

"You want to", he argues, "you want so much more than that".

Maven would never allow me to be here . Not for a second would he give me permission to see Cal . I know he's jealous, he's angry at his brother, at me for choosing to leave with him.

Deep down he's hurt

"I can never have you , we both know that".

"Mare.." he leans in.

I left my eyes open . His lips , soft as I remembered , connected with mine . He tugs on my arm , pleading with me. "Choose me" he kisses down my collar bone. He rest his hands on my hips , leaving a trail of kisses down my body . "Cal" I breathe, he pulls me into arms .

"Be gentle with me . I can't bare to have my heart broken again".