Romance Me Boy King

Mare

With a newly formed devious glint in my eye, a grin forming my lips I watch in anticipation for his answer.
Deep down I already know how he feels about me. Despite his efforts to mask what little humanity he has left, he knows that I am his weakness. Somewhere in that twisted heart of his, there is hope. Right now his heart is my last chance to take back control and to put an end to this insufferable war.

"Is that even a question?" He smiles. He leans forward arms wide open, a hug is what he's wanting. I rest my hands on his chest putting up a barrier between him and me.

"Mare?" He frowns.

"I will be more than happy to consider becoming your wife, but first I'm going to need you to prove to me that you deserve this."

Show me why I should have chosen you

He huffs, clearly unhappy about my unwillingness to fall back into his arms. Inside my inner self is yearning to be held, to be loved by him. I know it's true, but I cannot let him think he can have me so quickly. If he wants me, he will earn me.

"You'd like me to romance you," he smirks, "buy you expensive gifts, to do something so over the top and nauseatingly romantic that you fall hopelessly in love with me."

"I'm not apposed to gifts. And as for disgustingly romantic I expect nothing short of excellence".

He mulls it over momentarily. Brows furrowed, that cute crinkle in his nose. That focused look in his eyes. "How about you make me a list of all the things that you love. Anything that makes your heart skip a beat. I don't care how stupid or weird. If it makes you happy, that's all that matters".

Mare Barrow is not a romantic. I don't daydream about perfect princes, a fairytale wedding or being spoiled to no end

Anything that I love will likely be seen as too masculine or dirty. The least intense hobby that I enjoy would have to be sledding because it's refreshing and peaceful. I like the quickness of my sled on smoothed snow, and I love the chilling wind through my hair. While I usually am not a fan of dropping temperatures, this is the few winter activities that I enjoy.

There is one problem with this hobby of mine. 'Tis not the right season. "I guess I will settle for something less peaceful. I suppose I'd like to go for a hike".

I felt his hands rest upon my narrow shoulders. Slowly sliding closer to my waist. He steps in closer, mere millimeters from my face. His forehead is now touching mine. "I have a better idea; come on!" He takes my hand in his running at full speed.

~Time Skip~

"Maven where are we going? Why can't you tell me already?" I giggle.

Maven has both hands covering my eyes as he walks behind me. He is careful not to let me crash or trip over anything. I reach my hands up, laying mine overtop of his. My skin tingles at his gentle touch.

"If I tell you then it's not a surprise." Even without my vision, I can see that he is smiling.

"Maven!" I whine.

"Shh don't be a spoilsport my little birdie. We are almost there" He coos down at me.

Birdie?