Him or Me

~Maven~

      I finally was able to calm Mare down long enough to get her back into bed. I didn't feel comfortable leaving her alone so I had my servants take her to my room. Around the clock, maids are there to wait on her and check back in with me.  God, I did this. All I wanted to have her back, to love her, to hold her. But no matter my intentions, she's always the one to get hurt.
I've begun to lose it, this much I know. Here I was so worried that she'd never forgiven me, that she'd be afraid of me and my power. She's right, I've become a monster. The worst part is, I enjoy it. I revel in my darkness. Knowing hat I strike fear in anyone, even her gives me pleasure.

"Long time no see".

I turn around, I'd recognize that distinctive voice anywhere.

Before I have a chance to reply there's a knee in my face. His knee shattered my nose, breaking it upon impact. Quickly I grab my face, feeling blood began to drip. "I've waiting to do this for a long time". Cal grabs the collar of my shirt, forcing me to him. His amber eyes burned with intensity, I've never seen him look so angry.
"Where's Mare, what have you dint to her" he screams in my ears. I smiled knowing it would piss him off. "She's in my bed". Flames engulfed me, burning me from the inside out. He's jealous. As well he should be. Mare did choose to come back with on her own, and let's not forget that she didn't say goodbye to my dear old brother.

"You slept with her!".

I smirk, it's not true but I'll let him believe it.

"Not in the way you think, nothing happened. I was just comforting her ".

He relaxes a little.

"What did you do", he pointed his finger at me.

"Never mind that". I called for my skin healer to treat my burns. My body aches but it's bearable. "First I would like to know how you got in my palace and second-" I paused, "did you honestly think you were going to swoop in and take her away from me?". I'm starting to gloat, further agitating my brother.
"She doesn't belong to you - she is a person you know not a possession". She will be mine whether you like it or not. I circled him, eyeing him. He glared at me. I take notice of his weaknesses, he's lost some of his muscle. Thinned down so much he's beginning to look lanky. In the past he could have easily beaten me in a fight, he was the superior one. Always stronger, faster, luckier. Cal was the golden child, I was his shadow, he had our father's love and affection while I was ignored.
I've allowed him to take whatever he wanted from me because I was always too small. Too weak. But not anymore, for once in our lives I have the advantage. For the first time, I'm superior. How does it feel? How does it feel to have nothing?
"She was meant to be my wife, she was falling in love with me and then you came in and ruined everything", I raised my voice, " you couldn't stand that I had something that I loved, that you didn't have ". I run my hand over my broken nose. Wincing at the touch of my severed bone.
"You were jealous of poor little Mavy so you stole my fiancé right from under me". He surprised me, he actually looked sorry for me. "I'm sorry" he apologizes, I could have sworn I saw a tear. "Keep your pity" I barked, "your words are lies".

"I can not have you out and about ruining my world I worked so hard to build".

"Are you going to kill me?" He quivered.

If it weren't for Mare I would

"No. Instead I'm banishing you", I enjoyed his reaction, "from this day forward you are no longer a citizen of Norta".

"Why are you being so nice?" He questioned suspiciously.

"I'm feeling generous today".

I order for my guards to take him away. I had them take him to an underground jail cell. Secretly enjoying the fact that my brother will soon be out of my life forever. Out of her life for good. I'm cheery, smiley even because now she can be mine, all mine.
Practically skipping, I made my way to my chambers. I'm so excited that I need to spread my joy with the first person I see. I swung my door open forgetting that Mare was fast asleep. She'd been recovering from her second surgery. I paused when I saw her wrapped around my pillow. She's peaceful the way her chest rose and fell.
I couldn't contain myself. I crawled into bed with her, gently removing the pillow from her arms before slipping in its place. She stirs ever so slowly. "Maven?" She gasped. I rubbed her back, I pulled her closer to me. Her face is lined up perfectly with mine.

"How are you feeling?" , I use my soft voice.

She's barely able to lift her head.

"Better, I swear if you pump me full of any more pain pills I'm going to overdose" she joked. She laughed softly.

Mare stares at me, into my eyes than at my nose. She traces the curve with her index finger. "What happened to your face?" She frowned. Now it's my turn to laugh. "Nothing ", I give her a quick kiss, "just a little accident".
She's tired I can see that in her eyes, her eyelids start to close. Mare falls asleep on my chest, her arm locked around me like a vice. She had a firm grip, bruising even, nonetheless, I love that she holds onto me so tightly. She loves me. "I love you, Mare".