New allies

*Evangeline*

   There's this loud screeching echoing throw the halls. A wounded, desperate cry at a volume so high it causes your heart to beat inside your ears. Strangely I find myself following the sounds. What I see catches me off guard to say the least.

"Kill me, kill me now!"

  I'd recognize that voice anywhere. The lighting girl, Miss Mare freaking Barrow of all people. She is thrashing about on the floor tearing at her skin like a madwoman. She continued to scream pleas for death as she, unbeknownst to me, shoots lightning bolts around us.

"Why me! Why did I have to exist".

   Her nails reach for her eyes, slicing and pulling at her lids. I see her plucking out eyelashes, slamming herself into the floor. Mare wails with each sucking crack of her bones.
   For a split second she stops. Just long enough to notice me, "and the clouds opened up and the gods said I hate you Mare". My stomach turns at the sight of her like this. I feel conflicted. Days before I tried to kill her, I wanted her to pay for what she took from me. I've convinced myself that she needed to die, she was an error,  a lapse of judgment. I was going to rid out 'perfect Silver world' of her existence. I hate you.

I understand why I should, the reasons are all there. She's a Red, she helped orchestrate horrific crimes against my people. She stole Cal's affections but worst I all she has both of the Calores in the palm of her hand.

You ruined my life

I should kill her. Plunge a serrated piece of metal into her beating heart. I could strangle her with my own hands. Oh how the malice thoughts soothe my soul.

"Well if it isn't the rightful queen of Norta," Mare growls, "you wanted the crown so badly you can have it. I don't want either of them".

   Now I am inches from her bloodied face. I stare emotionlessly into those pools of chocolaty colored doe eyes of hers. Oddly enough they're quite ...beautiful. I noticed she has flecks of gold sourroinding her enlarged pupils. Tiny bits of amber swim alongside.

Damn

   I remove my gloves from hands before touching the side of her face, gently I brush the skin with the back of my fingers. Her eyes locked into me, she still wore that famous glare yet was at a loss for words. She's too weak to slap my hand away much less try to fight me. She wearily allows me to stroke her flushed cheek.

"Eva-"

I press my finger to her lips, "I'm going to save you".

Without giving her a chance to protest I scoop her up into my arms. She's deathly thin, almost like cradling paper. Her blood drops down my armor as we move, a deep crimson sea trails behind me. 

Red. Such a vibrant color.

"But....why?" She whimpers

Why? I ask that myself. Why save the very women I aspired to murder? Why care for someone beneath you? Why get myself involved at all?

"I don't know" I answered honestly.