The Monster in My Dreams

~Mare~

For the past few months, I've had nightmares, horrific vivid dreams of the massacre of the Reds.  I see his face, an army of Silvers marching behind him. I watch him set my world on fire, burning alive innocent people, caring not to give them water. He laughs darkly at their blood-curdling screams, almost enjoying the pain he caused them.
     I see beside him that woman, she is almost as power hungry as he is. Evangeline smiles up at the boy king, sending a storm of metal shards at fleeing Reds. Maven kisses her, latching himself around her like a snake would its prey. She returns his kiss, letting her hands roam around his body.
    Maven breaks their kiss, turning to me. I watch from inside a cage, silent stone manipulated my abilities. Practically ripping them away from me. My collar squeezes my neck, leaving thick indents in my skin. I'm a mess, my hair is tangled, my skin is scraped and bruised. I'm weak, paper thin. This is the end. This is where I draw my final breath.
    Maven comes up to my cage, careful not to touch the stone. His eyes bore into mine causing me to shake. He grabs ahold of my collar, jerking me to my feet. "You could have been mine, Mare. You could have been my red queen, and now? You're nothing".

His words are like a kick in the teeth.

    Maven kisses me, catching me off guard. His kiss is hungry, demanding even. His lips are soft but he's forceful with me. My skin aches, burning underneath him. It hurts but I can't push him away. I'm too weak.

  Maven stands back, eyeing me. He brings up his hand in my direction, mouthing something to me.  Suddenly there are flames, he throws a fireball into the cage. Setting it ablaze. This is hell, he's the devil and I'm his sinner. He's roasting me alive.

"No!" I scream at the top of my lungs.

"No" I repeat.

Cal comes rushing into my tent, trying to wake me from my horror.

"Mare, Mare look at me," he says firmly.

I open my eyes. It's too dark to see his face but I notice his dark hair and pale skin. Maven. I muster up my strength, kicking him in the gut. He falls to the floor, cradling his stomach.

I leap over him, running away into the night.