Chapter 1: Potions

Harry rushed into his potions class and quietly placed his books down on the table.

"I really hope I'm not late," he thought as he scrambled to take out his books.

He frantically took a seat next to Ron and Hermione, who smiled at him as he tried to open his potions book to the correct page. Professer Snape walked through the class, between the rows of tables, observing the students. As he neared Harry's desk, the ends of his lips turned upwards into a smirk.

"Well, I see that Mr. Potter barely cared enough to show up," he said in a cold voice.

All the Slytherins sneered at him. Harry felt his face grow red, and he lowered his head. Snape smirked and walked to the front of the class.

"Now that Potter is here, we can finally start. We'll be doing something new for a while," he explained. "I will assign you potion partners whom you will have to work with until Christmas break."

The class buzzed with whispers. Harry gave a look towards Ron.

"Everyone quiet down," Snape ordered. "Now let's see, Mr Longbottom and Mr Weasley, Miss Granger and Mr Finnigan, and Malfoy you shall work with Mr Potter over here."

Snape droned on and on, with all the other classmate's names. Harry looked over at Draco, who rolled his eyes and then went back to his work. Harry looked at Ron, who gave him a pitied look. Hermione was too caught up in her work to notice, as usual.

Before they could say anything, Snape interrupted. "You will also need to go to one of your partner's dorm rooms to work on the project, which I will explain shortly." Harry slumped his head down on the desk. It was going to a long class, and he was pretty sure he had a headache already.

Afterwards, Harry met up with Ron and Hermione in the hallway. "You're really unlucky, Harry," Ron started. "I would've gone mad if Draco was my partner."

Hermione gave Harry a reassuring look. "Harry, just try to get along, ok? And tell us if anything happens, good or bad, promise?"

"Well, good luck tonight then," Ron added before they went their seperate ways.

In the early evening, Harry went back to his dormitory. Ron was already there. "Hey, Harry, if Malfoy is being a prat, don't let him bother you, ok?"

Harry grinned and replied. "Thanks, Ron, and I'll definitely keep that in mind."

The door swung open and Hermione walked in. She carried about a dozen books, which she was trying to awkwardly balance. She placed the books down on Ron's bed, and gave a look to the boys. "Come on, you're going to be late for this evening!" She complained, but Harry and Ron listened. Neville was ready with his books, and he came over to Ron's bed. Hermione left with a wave over to Seamus's bed and waved to Harry.

"Good luck, Harry," she said, and Harry closed the door behind him as he left.

Harry arrived at Snape's door and knocked as politely as he could. The door opened a crack and Snape answered with a "What are you doing here, Mr. Potter?"

"Professer, I just want the Slytherin password." Snape gave him a confused look. "For the potions project, sir!" Harry added.

"Ah well then, the password is basilisk. Now get going," he said icily and shut the door.