Chapter 7

Original Stats:
1.1K Views. 21 Votes. 2 Comments.

━━━━━━━━━

Chapter 7

━━━━━━━━━

I trailed after our new, well previously new, boss as I left Adam back in the washing room. I was still shocked by what had just happened.

"Marcus wait!" I yelled. He stopped suddenly as we reached the hallway to his office. Marcus turned around, slowly but surely, before he was facing me once more. He crossed his arms over his chest in anger as he watched me. I took one step forward before he held his hand up to me, silently telling me to stop.

"No, that's close enough. I know you're the one that's staying, but-"

"That's just it. I'm not staying if you're firing Adam. It was my fault, well the majority of it, and Adam and I, are a packaged deal. You fire one of us, you fire both if us." I bargained as I walked over to him anyways. He nodded slowly, keeping a close eye on me as I still had bubbles running down my arms and legs. The soap that had been smeared on my leg was stick sticking to me as well, much to my discontent. I hated the feeling of soap like this.

"What you're saying is, it's either both of you, or none of you? And that's the only way?" Marcus clarified as he leaned against the white wall on my right. I nodded, letting my hands rest on my hips firmly as I tried to keep confident. This was one of my first jobs after all, only coming second to me helping dad sort through paperwork for community service hours back in high school.

"How far are you willing to go to help Adam keep his job?" Marcus asked simply. I nodded slowly, becoming more and more wary of where this was going. This couldn't be good.

"That depends..." I replied, knowing this couldn't be good. He had that stupid smug smile on his face as he stood up straight once more. This was bad.

"You, need to go out on a date with me. I wanted to ask you when we were in high school, but then-"

"Chase and I are together now. Have been for two years. Think of something else." I snapped. I wasn't about to let this little... Something, get in the way of my relationship with Chase. Adam had already done enough of that the moment we got together. Come to think of it, why am I trying so had to help him keep his job?

"Oh come on, Bree. It's just one date. We can even tell your little boyfriend that it's just as friends. Two friends catching up. How does that sound?" Marcus asked, a teasing tone to his voice as he stopped just in front of me. I frowned in concentration as I thought this through.

"So it will only be a date to you?" I asked, hoping I had caught on. I hated sounding so stupid.

"It will be a date to you too, if you want your friend to keep his job." Marcus hissed as he reached out and pulled my hand into his. I groaned inwardly as he let his fingers race across my hand. This felt wrong. Scratch that. This felt more than wrong. I could probably report him. But to do that, I would have to tell someone. Someone who could help me get rid of this kid, and everyone who I could tell, saw Chase and I as one person. Chase would find out, either way.

"Fine. But," I left off, snatching my hand from his grasp, "No hand holding. I'm in love with Chase." I spun on my heel and raced around the corner to see Adam sulking on the treadmill. He sat at the front of it as he clicked it on, sitting as the treadmill pushed him off and onto the floor. I laughed, gaining his attention instantly.

"Did you talk with him!" Adam yelled as he hopped up off the ground. To my surprise, he was bubble free. Unlike myself.

"Yeah, I talked with him." I said, trying to sound as sad as possible. Adam nodded, his head falling slowly so he could look at the ground. "You can have your job back!" Adam's head shot up as his eyes widened with happiness. He laughed and jumped over to me, wrapping me into a hug.