Chapter 30 - Monday Morning Blues

"Stars are dull when they are compared to you and I." - Light the Sky, Grace Vanderwaal

Chapter 30 - Monday Morning Blues

I woke to nothing. No birds chirping, no Austin screaming and no Mary singing. For a moment I couldn't even remember where I was. But then it all came back to me.

The game, me going home with Val, the car breaking down, us getting wet in the rain, the gas station, arrving at the hotel, and Val comforting me. Wow, a lot happened in these span of 12 hours.
These hours seemed more like the part of a movie than real life.

I slowly turned around to find the bed beside me occupied by Val. My breath hitched as I realised that there was very little space between us, so much so that I could see the lightest dust of freckles splattered on his cheeks. He looks like an angel in his sleep, contrary to what he is really.

You can't say that after what he did for you last night, Aubrey.

On that note, even I wondered how he had been so sweet, understanding and comforting last night. Maybe he was possessed. Yea! That's the only possible explanation.

I focused my gaze on Val again. He was breathing deeply, his mouth slightly open. He looks so indescribably good right now. The normally rash and closed look on his face was gone and in its place was a serene, innocent and almost defenceless look which I wasn't used to seeing on him. I would've stared at him a little longer, had I not gotten the sweet call of Mother Nature.

Leaving him, I went to the bathroom and freshened up. I also took my shower and dressed in the clothes I had worn yesterday which had dried over the night. I came out to find Val looking out of the window.

"Hey. Good morning." I said, walking over to a chair and spreading my towel to dry.

"'Morning." He replied. "I called my chauffeur last night from the receptionist. He'll be here anytime soon. I'll drop you off at your place." He said, walking into the bathroom.

I ran my fingers through my hair, trying to comb it while I waited. After about 10 minutes he came out, dressed in his clothes from yesterday. Not even a minute after he came out, a knock was heard at the door.

I went over and opened it to find a man in his late forties with kind blue eyes, dressed in a smart chauffeur's outfit, looking at me.

He smiled at me and said,"Is Master Cahill in here?"

From behind me, Val said,"Aah Mark, you are finally here. Thanks for coming to get us."

The guy grinned and said,"No problem Master Cahill. It is my job."

"How many times do I have to tell you? Call me Reece." Val said appearing behind me.

The man just smiled, his eyes lighting up,"Do you have anything for me to carry ? If not, we should make a move, I promised the lady at the reception that I'd be down in 2 minutes."

"No we are good to go." He said, picking up his phone and the bag of clothes. I went over and picked up the jacket and my phone.

Val walked out of the door and I looked back one last time to check if we were forgetting something.
What are you expecting to have LEFT over here when you got practically NOTHING with you ?
Oh right!
I walked out of the room, closing the door behind me. We entered the reception, where the lady gave us the same icy smile as last night and said,"Thank you for you stay." Val smiled back sarcastically at her and exited the hotel, me following him.