Prologue

Photo credit: Imagine You and Me, 2016 (movie stills)

A/N:  ♪♪ It's just another manic Monday, wish it were Sunday...♪♪

"Iba yata ngiti mo ngayon. Parang nabunutan ka ng tinik sa dibdib. What's up?" Richard and Maine settled on one of the benches at the school courtyard eating the banana-Q merienda that Richard bought, while watching the children play after their summer classes.

She smiled sweetly. "I'm getting married" she casually stated, as if telling the time of day. She continued watching the students run and goof around the playground, a favorite past time during her afternoon breaks, since she started working at the school as a corporate communication specialist, more than a week ago.

Getting married? Teka, tama ba dinig ko?  "Getting married? Ikakasal ka na? Akala ko..." medyo napataas ang boses pero sinubukang pigilin ni Richard ang reaksyon sa balita ng dalaga.

"Akala mo ano?" Upon hearing the surprise in his voice, Maine stole a side glance at him when he did not finish his sentence. She saw the questions in his eyes.

Akala ko single ka, akala ko wala kang boyfriend, akala ko magiging kaibigan na kita. Akala ko walang namamatay sa maling akala.

Isang malalim na buntong-hininga. "Wala, never mind. Kailan....kailan ang kasal?" mas kalmado na ang boses niya. (A/N: Yun ang akala mo)

Maine returned her gaze at the children. How she hoped she can play with them instead of facing this huge, huge undertaking that she's about to go into. It was a few seconds before she realized that Richard was asking her a question.

"Next week", she tried to put the smile back on her face and the conviction in her voice.

Muntik nang mailuwa ni Richard ang banana-Q na kinakain niya.  At hindi na nga siya nakapagpigil. "ANO?!? Teka naman, parang ang bilis yata! Ni wala kang naikuwento na may boyfriend ka, tapos ikakasal ka na sa isang linggo? Ano 'to, parang instant noodles lang? Nilagyan ng mainit na tubig, after 3 minutes, puwede na?"

The guy does protests too much. Maine turned to face him. "Are you okay? That's all you have to say? That it's too soon? You don't have other comments or questions?"

Dahil nahiya naman siya sa reaksyon niya at hindi niya magawang tingnan ang dalaga sa mata, nagkunwaring bumalik si Richard sa panonood sa mga batang naglalaro. Oo nga naman, sino ba ko para magtanong eh dalawang linggo pa lang naman kami nagkakakilala. Ni hindi pa nga siguro kami maituturing na magkaibigan. Kaya lang, bakit parang may kurot sa dibdib na ikakasal na siya? Ano pa nga ba puwede kong sabihin, eh di.... 

"Best wishes na lang. Sana hindi matuloy, este, sana maging masaya ka....... Alam mo, hindi sa nakikialam ako pero hindi biro ang pag-aasawa. Sabi nga ng mga matatanda, hindi yan parang kaning isusubo, na iluluwa kapag napaso ka."

(Ano ba Richard, saan galing yun? Ano ka, marriage counselor?)

She did not respond, as if waiting for him to say something else, to ask the question.

Pagkatapos ng isa na namang malalim na buntung-hininga,  sinigurado ni Richard na normal ang boses niya bago magsalita. Kailangan ko lang malaman, para sa siyensiya, para sa ekonomiya.

"Okay...hindi naman siguro masamang itanong kung sino ang masuwerteng mapapangasawa mo?"

Maine was half-expecting this question.

This is the opening she has been waiting for. This is it. But why is my heart beating this fast? I rehearsed this spiel a hundred times last night in front of the mirror. No room for errors. Please Maine, do this right. She crossed her fingers at her side, while silently praying, hoping everything will proceed as planned. She looks into his eyes for a few seconds, trying to gauge his mood before she answer, this time with a serious face.

.

.

.

"Ikaw."

A/N: Imagination? Panaginip? Bunga ng malikot na pag-iisip? Kasal, agad-agad? Bakit hindi yata alam ng groom? Anyare?

♪♪ Let's start at the very beginning, a very good way to start...♪♪

NOTE, please. READ: Just like "Of Love, Signs and Logic",  There Was You is a RomCom na Rated GP (General Patronage). I will add the cast of characters as they appear in the story.

We will start with updates EVERY OTHER DAY, then hopefully going to DAILY updates once we get the momentum of the story going.